Discuss Toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michelle1976

I had a new bathroom installed four to six weeks ago because of a severe leak. However, at the beginning of the week the toilet was taking ages to drain the water and a leak appeared on the ceiling in the kitchen below. I called the fitters and they were puzzled for a while but eventually concluded it was a blocked toilet, bunged up with paper. After four weeks? Anyway, today the same thing is beginning to happen again. The water is slow to drain and I am worried another leak will spring up. This can't be blocked again after five days surely? Is there something wrong with the piping, gravity or water pressure? This is driving me mad. Please someone help.

Welcome to the forum :)

Could be any number of things. How much work did you have done? Was there work done to the soil stack or was it more of a face lift.

If a new boss has been added to the stack then the pipe may be too far into the stack and collecting 'debris'.

But like I say it could be a number of things. I would be concerned though that the blockage caused a leak, it should all be watertight.

Get in touch with the original installers, be polite but firm, say you are not happy and can they come back and have another look as obviously something is not right. If they refuse then find a new company, word of mouth, to have a look. Then take it from there.

Hi Michelle and welcome to the forums.....could be a number of things but I suspect a blockage in the soil pipe or blocked drain.....catching paper and "solids" but allowing water to seep past until it blocks up ....what caused the original leak and has the toilet been moved to a new position ......regards Turnpin;)

It is a new toilet and yes it is in a different position from the old one. The original leak was a unsealed pipe right in the corner of the bathroom, under the path. Have had all new piping.

perhaps there is not enough fall on the new soil pipe was the old pan cemented where it joined the soil pipe maybe some debris is possibly lodged down inside the pipe....regards Turnpin;)

If you can't get hold of the fitters, post your location and I'm sure someone here will pop in to have a look.

Really? Would they? I think I am going to need a Plan B. The original installers are coming at 11 so I will see what happens given I am now armed with more information and get back to you. You are all so kind and helpful. Thank you.

The toilet has blocked AGAIN for the third time in ten days. Sick of this.

Get someone with a drain camera to have a look.
You will find out for definite what and where the problem is.

Once toilets start blocking up, the problem only gets worse.
Since it is a new install, you would assume that the problem is with the works done for the new install.

The camera will give you the reason for the constant blockage and a point to begin repairs.
Hopefully that doesn't included ripping out most of what's been done

He has already looked down with a camera and only found paper. He is going to have another go with the camera and then take the toilet out. I asked if the problem was with the soil stack and he said it can't be as they did not touch that but I know they did.

Hopefully they get it sorted for you then.
From what you have described the cause of the blockage is between the relocated toilet and the stack. All new pipework, so there is something done rather bad / dodgy in that section of new piping.

Keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock