Search the forum,

Discuss Things still going well. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Work is going ok been at this company now for 5 or 6 months and work is varied!

Could be putting a boiler in one week, then on maintenance the next. Anything from replacing syphons, filling valves, washing machine valves, showers, repairing leaks. Then there's the other stuff doing appliance servicing, land lord safety certificates.

Really enjoying it but still got a long way to go until i get up to speed. One thing I struggle with is knowing the gas safety regs off the top of my head and have to keep looking in my book to check things are ok - can't be expected to know everything. Only problem is that takes more time.

I still put too much pressure on myself and get nervous when people are watching me work. When i'm left to it, a job might still take twice as long as someone else but i'll figure it out eventually.

some good stuff has been happening, had a gas safe inspection last week and got the letter through to the office today saying everything was fine. i was nervous and was expecting someone to be firing all sorts of questions at me but wasn't too bad. He hung around for a few hours asked me some questions and was happy to have a chat. Out of about 10 or so things he asked me there was a few I didn't know but should have but i put that down to nerves.

Also booked myself on the Baxi courses - Combi, basic electrics, boiler diagnostics, and system wiring and controls. bit of a kick in the jewels money wise doubled up with being off work so losing money there but long term it should pay off providing i get the chance to put what i learn in to practice.

I get frustrated when i'm struggling to get my jobs done but i have come on a lot in the last 12 months especially when i look at how im never doing one thing long enough to learn it properly.

last night I had to go and put 3 rads back on the walls after the walls had been re-plastered and i have done it before but found it so hard marking up for the radiators to go back in place for the existing pipe work. When I can put the rads on then do the pipework to suit it's not a problem but felt a right wally last night haha.

Lay it on floor face down . Put a straight edge from stump center to stump center. Put brackets on back of rad as if it were hanging. Measure from straight edge to bottom of bracket. Then measure from center of rad to center of brackets.

Draw small line where center of valve is on oipe, measure up the distance between stump and bracket- draw a level line.

Measure between valves on pipe . Mark center then draw on center of brackets...... The rest is obvious. Don't rush and always check regs!

Sounds like you've come a long way mate! 12 months is a very short period of time to have covered all that!

Lay it on floor face down . Put a straight edge from stump center to stump center. Put brackets on back of rad as if it were hanging. Measure from straight edge to bottom of bracket. Then measure from center of rad to center of brackets.

Draw small line where center of valve is on oipe, measure up the distance between stump and bracket- draw a level line.

Measure between valves on pipe . Mark center then draw on center of brackets...... The rest is obvious. Don't rush and always check regs!

Should hopefully get to put that in to practice tomorrow.

its good that the work is varied you will get a better understanding that way, for the rads i measure center of the unions to top of bracket then center of valve the same up the wall and mark that line as top of brackets centering is obviously center tween the two pipes
thanks for spending the time to come back in and let us know how its going i often think of you as our protegee

Work is going ok been at this company now for 5 or 6 months and work is varied!

Could be putting a boiler in one week, then on maintenance the next. Anything from replacing syphons, filling valves, washing machine valves, showers, repairing leaks. Then there's the other stuff doing appliance servicing, land lord safety certificates.

Really enjoying it but still got a long way to go until i get up to speed. One thing I struggle with is knowing the gas safety regs off the top of my head and have to keep looking in my book to check things are ok - can't be expected to know everything. Only problem is that takes more time.

I still put too much pressure on myself and get nervous when people are watching me work. When i'm left to it, a job might still take twice as long as someone else but i'll figure it out eventually.

some good stuff has been happening, had a gas safe inspection last week and got the letter through to the office today saying everything was fine. i was nervous and was expecting someone to be firing all sorts of questions at me but wasn't too bad. He hung around for a few hours asked me some questions and was happy to have a chat. Out of about 10 or so things he asked me there was a few I didn't know but should have but i put that down to nerves.

Also booked myself on the Baxi courses - Combi, basic electrics, boiler diagnostics, and system wiring and controls. bit of a kick in the jewels money wise doubled up with being off work so losing money there but long term it should pay off providing i get the chance to put what i learn in to practice.

I get frustrated when i'm struggling to get my jobs done but i have come on a lot in the last 12 months especially when i look at how im never doing one thing long enough to learn it properly.

last night I had to go and put 3 rads back on the walls after the walls had been re-plastered and i have done it before but found it so hard marking up for the radiators to go back in place for the existing pipe work. When I can put the rads on then do the pipework to suit it's not a problem but felt a right wally last night haha.

I've just remembered I was going to scan and send those course notes to you! Sorry mate, will get it done this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Things still going well. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock