Search the forum,

Discuss Thermocompact 242 eh - sparks, ignites x 10ish times then locks out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooly89

Gas Engineer
Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a problem with a thermocompact 242eh in that it sparks and ignites several times an then locks out. I have a feeling that the solenoid or gas valve is at fault. a video of the fault can be found below.

[video=youtube;1mMlu0zhVeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mMlu0zhVeM[/video]

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Pooly

Flame detection.
Need to check, Min gas pressure, ionisation current etc.
Also polarity

Check voltage to solenoid and look through that manual I posted link on. There's fault finding at back. Before you waste any time, ring merchants and check PCB's are still available. There's a few on those and the rest is basically mechanical

I would say flame dec/ ini

I like your abbreviations shaun they keep my mind working.
That one will be every part on boiler going through my head tonight dec/ini ?

cant spell and was on phone let me google it :D

Flame detection / ionising probes

Last edited:
cant spell and was on phone let me google it :D

Flame detection / ionising probes

Ah got it

No, cant agree with that shaun, All happens too fast, have you watched video ?

I think it's a relay or a switch making and breaking. You can hear the clunk, Its all mechanical on those, it'll be something not engaging properly. Old now them though !
time for bye bye's

Ah got it

No, cant agree with that shaun, All happens too fast, have you watched video ?

I think it's a relay or a switch making and breaking. You can hear the clunk, Its all mechanical on those, it'll be something not engaging properly. Old now them though !
time for bye bye's

yes and no its opening and lighting and if it was a fault with the gas valve or solenoid it wouldn't work / stay shut or open, so that leads me to not sensing a flame or a pcb

tbh dont think you will get parts or will be expensive might be time for a new boiler if you defo cant

Ok, so I did a little more testing found out that there's continuity from the flame rectification probe to the PCB and opened up the pcb box carefully to show this electromagnetic microswitch on the board(see video below).

[video=youtube;chpsB10yHH8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chpsB10yHH8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

with this in mind other than blaming the pcb is there anything else likely to be causing this other than board or magnetic switch(on pcb) failure?

Cheer

Pooly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermocompact 242 eh - sparks, ignites x 10ish times then locks out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock