Search the forum,

Discuss Testing inhibitor in heating system... Should things rust at all? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NeilFawcett

We had a new boiler put in a few months ago. I'm questioning if the fitter put inhibitor in?

It's a Worcestor boiler which heats up water in our hot water tank and radiators etc etc. From my understanding there's two circuits? Once from the boiler around the radiators and one going up to the hot water tank to heat it?

Do they share the same water?

I've bled some water from a radiator and put it in a jar. I've then got some tap water and put that in another. I've then taken 3-4 screws and bolts in pairs and put one of each in each jar.

Both sets have gone rusty, but the fresh water has got far more rusty.

Should it have gone rusty at all with the water from the radiators?

NOTE: After three months, the water from the radiators is crystal clear!

Last edited by a moderator:
just so u are aware the tap water isnt the same water that runs around the heating system , the water from the boiler heats the coil in the cyclinder ( like a kettle element ) .If your rad water is clear and the engineer has stated that he has added the inhibitor then alls good .

I know tap water isn't the same as the water in my heating system - I was creating a test set. ie: Regular water rust vs the water in my radiators rust.

So the fact bolts/screws are rusting in the water from my radiators (be it less than in tap water) is OK?

Is the water in the coil (in the hot water tank) the same as the water used around my radiators?

Your test didn't work because there's a large volume of oxygen in the sample. When it's in the system there's relatively little. The inhibitor takes care of the rest.

To answer your question, yes, the water in the tank coil is the same circuit as the water in the radiators.

Aha! And the fact there's less rusting in the radiator water sample must be due to the inhibitor then!?

Thanks...

The inhibitor containers have a sticker on them which you fill in with the date and then put somewhere so it can be seen by anyone who works on the system,usually on the boiler somewhere. I always put them on the drop down door with the cleaner label. Have you checked the boiler for these?

The inhibitor containers have a sticker on them which you fill in with the date and then put somewhere so it can be seen by anyone who works on the system,usually on the boiler somewhere. I always put them on the drop down door with the cleaner label. Have you checked the boiler for these?
No, nothing like that!

TBH, not very impressed by the plumber involved. Didn't even send off our registration card for the bioler! I phoned Worcestor after three months, only to find out they knew nothing about us!

Hence me wondering if they even bothered with inhibitor with the new install!

If there's no stickers I doubt it's been done,especially if your registration hasn't been completed. Has it been notified with Gas Safe Register?? You should get a certificate through the post.

You can get a kit to test for inhibitor as already said,that would tell you either way. Can you ask the installer?

We had a new boiler put in a few months ago. I'm questioning if the fitter put inhibitor in?

It's a Worcestor boiler which heats up water in our hot water tank and radiators etc etc. From my understanding there's two circuits? Once from the boiler around the radiators and one going up to the hot water tank to heat it?

Do they share the same water?

I've bled some water from a radiator and put it in a jar. I've then got some tap water and put that in another. I've then taken 3-4 screws and bolts in pairs and put one of each in each jar.

Both sets have gone rusty, but the fresh water has got far more rusty.

Should it have gone rusty at all with the water from the radiators?

NOTE: After three months, the water from the radiators is crystal clear!

If I remember correctly this test was printed on the packaging of Fernox MB1 I used to buy in the 1980's.

If you are not sure if inhibitor has been added why not put some in, I'm not a plumber but I can't imagine too much would do any harm, I always add a small amount when I have taken 2 or 3 radiators off for decorating.

If there's no stickers I doubt it's been done,especially if your registration hasn't been completed. Has it been notified with Gas Safe Register?? You should get a certificate through the post.

You can get a kit to test for inhibitor as already said,that would tell you either way. Can you ask the installer?
Not had a certificate?!

can take a while to get through, if you havent got it in a couple of weeks ring your installer back, he might have forgotten to register it, I had to register one 7mnths after I fitted it because I genuinly forgot, not a problem.

can take a while to get through, if you havent got it in a couple of weeks ring your installer back, he might have forgotten to register it, I had to register one 7mnths after I fitted it because I genuinly forgot, not a problem.
Why does it actually matter?!

Why does it actually matter?!

Well Niel, it doesnt really matter until you sell your home, estate agent/ solicitor/new home owner might want to see it to prove that the boiler has been installed correctly, complies to all the latest regs etc. And if he hasnt registerd it with Gaysafe, has he registerd the warrenty? which is up to you really but i do it as part of the installation, but then Iam awesome and a great lover.

Well Niel, it doesnt really matter until you sell your home, estate agent/ solicitor/new home owner might want to see it to prove that the boiler has been installed correctly, complies to all the latest regs etc. And if he hasnt registerd it with Gaysafe, has he registerd the warrenty? which is up to you really but i do it as part of the installation, but then Iam awesome and a great lover.

Gaysafe??? I didn't sign up for that!!:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Testing inhibitor in heating system... Should things rust at all? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock