Search the forum,

Discuss Tenant wants a gas cooker fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt06

Gas Engineer
Hello, A tenant wants a gas cooker fitted there is a gas pipe there but no bayonet, Is it ok to work on the gas pipe on behalf of the tenant I told tenant to tell the landlord

Thnks

personally I wouldn't entertain it, speak to the landlord if he is happy for the tenant to pay for it to be done then that's great but I know landlords who refuse point blank to have any gas appliances other than a boiler due to added expense on CP12's

Tennant wants it done, give them a price & tell them it's down to them to pay or get the landlord to get in touch with you....had this once tenant (friend) wanted gas Fire out, done the job, gave them the bill & they said give it to landlord he'll pay it, gave it to LL who said they wanted it out they have to pay it....tenants were a bit miffed but paid it...

Agree with the chaps. And on the flip side, if I was a landlord I would want to at least be aware of such things.

We plug off all cooker points and it is then down to the tenant to get someone in to change the plug to a bayonet and connect up the cooker. The reason being, that if the tenant doesn't have a gas cooker, the bayonet is preferred to be removed by most big landlords.

Yeh your always best to talk to the owner or the relevant agent who handles the property ,

wont affect a cp12 as its tenants property and just noted as such and given a visual check, no more needed

Speak to the LandLord? No chance. We spend enough time quoting and looking at jobs with no recompense without being third degreed by a Land Lord. Quote YOUR client, get him to sign your T&C's, do job and get paid.
Incidentally, my T&C's carry a standard note to the effect that any permissions necessary are the responsibility of the client, and signing the quote acceptance indicates that these have been received.

Personally I never ever work on anything in a rental without first speaking to landlord/agent first. You'll find out why soon enough.

Speak to the LandLord? No chance. We spend enough time quoting and looking at jobs with no recompense without being third degreed by a Land Lord. Quote YOUR client, get him to sign your T&C's, do job and get paid.
Incidentally, my T&C's carry a standard note to the effect that any permissions necessary are the responsibility of the client, and signing the quote acceptance indicates that these have been received.

You're getting into a world of pain there mate. Tenants do not have a right to make substantial changes without permission. It is your responsibility as a professional to check that permission has been given. Your terms and conditions go part way to compliance, but you need to ask to see the letter or email giving permission, and better still, take a copy of it.

. It is your responsibility as a professional to check that permission has been given. .

Where does it say that? I am always prepared to take advice, and be "educated" where I am wrong. However, I wonder if your statement is true, or "just a good idea"? I believe there may be some truth in this where Listed Buildings or National Monuments are concerned.

Where does it say that? I am always prepared to take advice, and be "educated" where I am wrong. However, I wonder if your statement is true, or "just a good idea"? I believe there may be some truth in this where Listed Buildings or National Monuments are concerned.

Not part of any gas regs or BS but the principle has been laid down in a great deal of statutory and case law. There is an onus on professional people to check that they have the necessary permissions to carry out work.

Not part of any gas regs or BS but the principle has been laid down in a great deal of statutory and case law. There is an onus on professional people to check that they have the necessary permissions to carry out work.

Fact or hearsay? No disrespect, but I know of no stat or case law that shows this. Have you any specific info?
I tend not to believe a great deal without some evidence. One chap on this site (GS only) stated a gas fire can only be used if it is below 14Kw AND temporary. The OP appeared to take that as a fact.

I tend not to believe a great deal without some evidence.

From a TENANCY AGREEMENT

THE TENANT AGREES with the Landlord as follows:

3.23 Not to hang any pictures or fix anything to the premises without the Landlord’s consent.

3.28 Not to make any alteration or addition to the premises or their contents.

3.29 Not to tamper or interfere with alter or add to the gas, water or electrical installations or meters serving the premises.

From a TENANCY AGREEMENT

THE TENANT AGREES with the Landlord as follows:

3.23 Not to hang any pictures or fix anything to the premises without the Landlord’s consent.

3.28 Not to make any alteration or addition to the premises or their contents.

3.29 Not to tamper or interfere with alter or add to the gas, water or electrical installations or meters serving the premises.

Agreed. The TENANT has to seek permission. If someones goes to paint the house, is HE going to contact the council, or will he assume that permissions are granted. Our contract is with the tenant, we may not even know that the house is rented, which is why my clause is on ALL contracts. There is nothing as far as I am aware that puts us on the onus to spend an age contacting LLords who probably don;t care

Agreed. The TENANT has to seek permission. If someones goes to paint the house, is HE going to contact the council, or will he assume that permissions are granted. Our contract is with the tenant, we may not even know that the house is rented, which is why my clause is on ALL contracts. There is nothing as far as I am aware that puts us on the onus to spend an age contacting LLords who probably don;t care

Perhaps you should re-read my post? I didn't suggest contacting the landlord. I said that given that the law requires tenants to have permission for certain works to be carried out, the onus is on you to ensure permission had been obtained, by asking to see a letter or email.

Would you build an extension without seeing planning consent? Would you buy a car without checking that the seller actually has the right to sell it? Same principle in law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tenant wants a gas cooker fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock