Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking product for shower prior to tiling in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

What tanking systems to do people recommend.

I have a shower tray that is currently fitted and siliconed around the edge against the wall on three sides (2 tile board 1 plastered wall).

I want to tank the plastered wall and joints between the tile board and up the corners prior to tiling.

Are there any one product options that don’t require tape. I’ve used the tape ones before.

Is a product I can paint on the wall and over the silicone wall to tray joint and lap it slightly into the tray to create a continuous tanking layer on the wall lapping onto the tray.

I would obviously mask off the tray so the tiles cover this tanking followed up with another silicone finishing bead between the tile and tray joint.

Any pictures of the job so far ? All the tanking systems I have used require a waterproof membrane tape to be used in conjunction with the product Mapie aqadefence will do what you require but use with the membrane tape and paint all the walls as the manufacturers instructions. Kop

Any pictures of the job so far ? All the tanking systems I have used require a waterproof membrane tape to be used in conjunction with the product Mapie aqadefence will do what you require but use with the membrane tape and paint all the walls as the manufacturers instructions. Kop

Thanks KOP

Unfortunately no pictures. If I have to use tape then I will. With the aquadefence product you mention, would you use the tape to lap down the wall over the initial silicone bead between the tray and wall and then just onto the tray?

Is the tape self adhesive or glued down with the tanking?

Do you get corner profiles or is it just flat tape that you fold and cut to accommodate corners?

Thanks

You can downloaded the technical data personally I use the flat tape and make a L shape into the corner, no dont lap onto the tray just use a good quality sensitive masking tape and tape all the way round the perimeter of the tray 3-5 mm in, cover the whole tray with cardboard and tape up i then cut a piece of plasterboard to fit inside the tray and spend time on the prep work this will improve on the final finish. Kop

Tilemaster tanking kit is decent

The Tilemaster tanking kit is excellent, as are all of their products, I use it on most domestic tray installations.
This is a liquid tanking kit that you roller on but you will need to use the tape supplied for corners and board joints to ensure a 100% waterproof seal.
I don’t think there is one that doesn’t use tape tbh.

This kit doesn’t change the wall weight limits so 20kg per sqm on your plastered wall will not be affected.

You can downloaded the technical data personally I use the flat tape and make a L shape into the corner, no dont lap onto the tray just use a good quality sensitive masking tape and tape all the way round the perimeter of the tray 3-5 mm in, cover the whole tray with cardboard and tape up i then cut a piece of plasterboard to fit inside the tray and spend time on the prep work this will improve on the final finish. Kop

Cheers. I’ll download the tech sheet as you suggest.
[automerge]1588624791[/automerge]
The Tilemaster tanking kit is excellent, as are all of their products, I use it on most domestic tray installations.
This is a liquid tanking kit that you roller on but you will need to use the tape supplied for corners and board joints to ensure a 100% waterproof seal.

This kit doesn’t change the wall weight limits so 20kg per sqm on your plastered wall will not be affected.

Thanks for the advice. I did look that the tile master kit but noticed in the tech data if applied to a plastered wall the plaster has to be dried 6 weeks before application. Seemed a little impractical to wait that long. Any thoughts on that, as you’ve it?

Also, with this kit do you tape the tray to wall joint. I.e. lap the tape down the wall and just onto the tray. Or as KOP suggested with the other kit, mask off onto the tray and apply the paste, a few mm in that will be covered by the tile.
[automerge]1588626718[/automerge]

Apologies! A correction to what I replied previously. It wasn’t the tile master kit that advised plaster needs to be 6 weeks old so ignore that bit.

Last edited:
No I don’t tape the tray to wall joint.

I seal the joint with Evostick sticks like or CT1 first then mask on to the tray a couple of mm and paint over the top.
When it comes to tiling allow for a 2mm spacer under the tile to tray joint and also up the internal corners.
Make sure when you grout, these joints are kept clean, as you want the silicone to fill the gap to give a flexible, waterproof joint.

No I don’t tape the tray to wall joint.

I seal the joint with Evostick sticks like or CT1 first then mask on to the tray a couple of mm and paint over the top.
When it comes to tiling allow for a 2mm spacer under the tile to tray joint and also up the internal corners.
Make sure when you grout, these joints are kept clean, as you want the silicone to fill the gap to give a flexible, waterproof joint.

Great thanks for the advice. I was concerned the paste wouldn’t stick to a silicone or CT1 wall to tray joint but the fact you advise this suggests it’s not an issue.

Thanks again.

Reply to Tanking product for shower prior to tiling in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock