Discuss Tall Mono Basin Tap On Travertine Surface in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have built a basin unit for my travertine basin.

The unit is tiled in travertine with the top being travertine also.

I am planning on installing a tall mono basin tap but am concerned about how to fix the tap securely. I am anticipating that the tap may not fix firmly and will move (rotate) or upon tightening it will crack the travertine.

Should I be thinking about fixing the tap to the wood beneath the travertine (top isn't fixed down yet) or will I be fine just fixing to the travertine top direct?

IMAG0081.jpgIMAG0082.jpg

Thanks,

Daz

is there going to be enough room for the taps with that bowl? maybe it's just the angle of the photo.

As steveb says tghere doesn't seem to be much room for a tap. The trav needs treating first and I would drill carefully through the trav and place a similarly drilled wooden block underneath to screw the tap backnut to rather than straight to the underneath of the trav.

As steveb says tghere doesn't seem to be much room for a tap. The trav needs treating first and I would drill carefully through the trav and place a similarly drilled wooden block underneath to screw the tap backnut to rather than straight to the underneath of the trav.

Yes there is plenty of room for a tap.
Yes all travertine needs treating.
I wasn't suggesting to secure the tap just to the travertine. It would secure to the plywood underneath.

6mm marine ply and a couple of rubber washers for me, top and bottom.

I wasn't suggesting to secure the tap just to the travertine. It would secure to the plywood underneath.

Sorry, I didn't understand your original question then " should I secure it to the wood underneath?"

probably be best to use a plate of some sort to spread the load underneath maybe 6mm ply like redsaw said. or if the tap is tall enough what about making the hole for the tap in the trav large enough so that the tap sits directly on the wood so there will be no danger of the trav cracking.

probably be best to use a plate of some sort to spread the load underneath maybe 6mm ply like redsaw said. or if the tap is tall enough what about making the hole for the tap in the trav large enough so that the tap sits directly on the wood so there will be no danger of the trav cracking.

Yes that's what I was thinking. There is ply underneath the tile which is 18mm thick so could fix directly to that and then tile on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tall Mono Basin Tap On Travertine Surface in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock