• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Someone got to start this one 🤔 in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

king of pipes

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Morning chaps sitting here watching the early morning news this cronavirus business is really getting a hold now , two families I know have had holiday's cancelled to Spain, this is going to effect us all personally and business wise I am lucky enough to have a shower upgrade a weeks work for a retired couple who are happy to have me in their home , then a full gas central heating job in a empty property to do so won't effect my work situation for the next 3 weeks or so. I have a elderly mother with asthma who lives alone who I am obviously conserved about she lives a 2 hour drive away and getting her to stay in will drive her stir crazy I am seriously considering bring her to stay with us for a month or so, how are you all coping with the problem ? Supermarket shelves are being stripped of basic essentials and I can see this getting worse your opinions please gentlemen. Keep well regards kop

O

oz-plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
We've just had major changes in the last 2 days.

F1 GP - cancelled.
International Cricket - cancelled.
Football ( all codes ) - played at empty stadiums ...for now.
Cruise ships - banned for 30 days.
All international travelers to self quarantine for 14 days - where? how? if they don't have a home to do to!
( fines will be handed out to persons who don't self quarantine )

As for stockpiling of food - it was bad enough before these new laws come into play, now it's madness.

Re: Your Mum.
Go and get her.
If things get considerably worse, then there will be restrictions of travel and you may not be able to.

Last edited:
townfanjon

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I will be totally honest , I think we have very worrying times ahead .

M

Murdoch

Res.Electrician
FWIW I don't think anybody knows what will happen and when - but we ALL know that improving on our personal hygiene and self isolating if the symptoms reveal themselves WILL help, not just individuals but EVERYBODY.

The glass is half full - as always

C

Chuck

I am seriously considering bring her to stay with us for a month or so,
Based on my own past experience, I think you should make the offer, ensure she understands that you are sincere, and be ready for her to take you up on it. But don't jump the gun; moving her in with you will create its own stresses and risks. Looking after her vacant house for weeks/months on end will be quite a worry/burden in itself.
Supermarket shelves are being stripped of basic essentials
I think that this will be a relatively short term phenomenon. Like many here, I remember the 'sugar crisis' and the 'bread crisis' during the winter of discontent in the 1970s. There wasn't a real shortage of either, it was just panic buying created by the BBC showing stock footage of 'empty shelves' that pre-dated the strikes and that was filmed early on a monday morning before the shelves, which were deliberately emptied over the weekend, were re-stocked.

O

oz-plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Very worrying..
I was told by a GP that sneezes / coughs are like farts....except you can smell farts.

Walk into an elevator, you can smell a fart.
Walk into an elevator you can't smell a sneeze or a cough.

You may walk into an elevator and breathe in a virus!!!

centralheatking

centralheatking

Esteemed
Plumber
Morning chaps sitting here watching the early morning news this cronavirus business is really getting a hold now , two families I know have had holiday's cancelled to Spain, this is going to effect us all personally and business wise I am lucky enough to have a shower upgrade a weeks work for a retired couple who are happy to have me in their home , then a full gas central heating job in a empty property to do so won't effect my work situation for the next 3 weeks or so. I have a elderly mother with asthma who lives alone who I am obviously conserved about she lives a 2 hour drive away and getting her to stay in will drive her stir crazy I am seriously considering bring her to stay with us for a month or so, how are you all coping with the problem ? Supermarket shelves are being stripped of basic essentials and I can see this getting worse your opinions please gentlemen. Keep well regards kop
From what I understand is people under 20 are not at risk...but can carry it ...so mixing age groups in close proximity is not a great move. Elderly people and others with pre existing problems are at risk and are best keeping out of the way. It is inevitable that it will get worse but trying to stop it peaking as it did in Italy will mean the health service can cope and vulnerable people can be looked after in turn
PANIC BUYING ..no one I know admits and is pathetic ...in fact using this thread we can all compare notes and experiences outside of the government info machine. Cpl Jones on Dads Army had the right idea and I will not PANIC. Centralheatking

RDS

RDS

Gas Engineer
I would say to to go and get your mum, but i guess you ideally need to have somewhere at your home where she can be isolated i.e. annex or something. Otherwise my thinking is that if she just lives with you whilst you go about your regular business she probably stands more risk of picking it up from you if you get infected than she would being at her own home??

My understanding is that if this thing goes the way it is forecast too it looks like the whole year is written off. I had a holiday holiday booked to Spain and Sardinia at the end of the month touring in a campervan. A week or so ago i was saying to my wife we'll still be going, then FOC advise against all travel to italy, then a couple of days later parts of spain, and now today advising against travel to whole of Spain. Everything is moving so quickly. I'm just one of many trying to contact my travel insurance and putting in a claim and thinking they cant pay out to everyone without going broke?

OP
king of pipes

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Have a comfortable spare room for her but that's it agree with you it's moving very quickly I can't have her self isolating for four months she won't cope with that. Kop

RDS

RDS

Gas Engineer
Have a comfortable spare room for her but that's it agree with you it's moving very quickly I can't have her self isolating for four months she won't cope with that. Kop
Hope all goes well for you, and everyone else for that matter too!

gmartine

gmartine

Gas Engineer
Hi Kop

I'd hang tight for a bit as they haven't quite imposed an elderly shutdown just yet. As RDS suggests, the question really is do you by bringing her to stay increase her risk of catching it? If you have a house full of kids probably not.

I popped into all my local supermarkets last couple of days trying to find some bog roll as we are genuinely down to using tissues. I don't give a stuff, I've travelled widely and happy to use hand and wash it after VERY carefully.

Shelves stripped bare, feck it bought some kitchen roll and cut it in half for the ladies.

Last edited:
OP
king of pipes

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Good advice bud i dont think we are at that point just yet but it may well come to it sooner than we think all the best . Kop

Reply to Someone got to start this one 🤔 in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads