Search the forum,

Discuss Someone got to start this one 🤔 in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Morning chaps sitting here watching the early morning news this cronavirus business is really getting a hold now , two families I know have had holiday's cancelled to Spain, this is going to effect us all personally and business wise I am lucky enough to have a shower upgrade a weeks work for a retired couple who are happy to have me in their home , then a full gas central heating job in a empty property to do so won't effect my work situation for the next 3 weeks or so. I have a elderly mother with asthma who lives alone who I am obviously conserved about she lives a 2 hour drive away and getting her to stay in will drive her stir crazy I am seriously considering bring her to stay with us for a month or so, how are you all coping with the problem ? Supermarket shelves are being stripped of basic essentials and I can see this getting worse your opinions please gentlemen. Keep well regards kop

We've just had major changes in the last 2 days.

F1 GP - cancelled.
International Cricket - cancelled.
Football ( all codes ) - played at empty stadiums ...for now.
Cruise ships - banned for 30 days.
All international travelers to self quarantine for 14 days - where? how? if they don't have a home to do to!
( fines will be handed out to persons who don't self quarantine )

As for stockpiling of food - it was bad enough before these new laws come into play, now it's madness.

Re: Your Mum.
Go and get her.
If things get considerably worse, then there will be restrictions of travel and you may not be able to.

Last edited:
FWIW I don't think anybody knows what will happen and when - but we ALL know that improving on our personal hygiene and self isolating if the symptoms reveal themselves WILL help, not just individuals but EVERYBODY.

The glass is half full - as always

I am seriously considering bring her to stay with us for a month or so,
Based on my own past experience, I think you should make the offer, ensure she understands that you are sincere, and be ready for her to take you up on it. But don't jump the gun; moving her in with you will create its own stresses and risks. Looking after her vacant house for weeks/months on end will be quite a worry/burden in itself.
Supermarket shelves are being stripped of basic essentials
I think that this will be a relatively short term phenomenon. Like many here, I remember the 'sugar crisis' and the 'bread crisis' during the winter of discontent in the 1970s. There wasn't a real shortage of either, it was just panic buying created by the BBC showing stock footage of 'empty shelves' that pre-dated the strikes and that was filmed early on a monday morning before the shelves, which were deliberately emptied over the weekend, were re-stocked.

Very worrying..
I was told by a GP that sneezes / coughs are like farts......except you can smell farts.

Walk into an elevator, you can smell a fart.
Walk into an elevator you can't smell a sneeze or a cough.

You may walk into an elevator and breathe in a virus!!!

Morning chaps sitting here watching the early morning news this cronavirus business is really getting a hold now , two families I know have had holiday's cancelled to Spain, this is going to effect us all personally and business wise I am lucky enough to have a shower upgrade a weeks work for a retired couple who are happy to have me in their home , then a full gas central heating job in a empty property to do so won't effect my work situation for the next 3 weeks or so. I have a elderly mother with asthma who lives alone who I am obviously conserved about she lives a 2 hour drive away and getting her to stay in will drive her stir crazy I am seriously considering bring her to stay with us for a month or so, how are you all coping with the problem ? Supermarket shelves are being stripped of basic essentials and I can see this getting worse your opinions please gentlemen. Keep well regards kop
From what I understand is people under 20 are not at risk...but can carry it ...so mixing age groups in close proximity is not a great move. Elderly people and others with pre existing problems are at risk and are best keeping out of the way. It is inevitable that it will get worse but trying to stop it peaking as it did in Italy will mean the health service can cope and vulnerable people can be looked after in turn
PANIC BUYING ..no one I know admits and is pathetic ...in fact using this thread we can all compare notes and experiences outside of the government info machine. Cpl Jones on Dads Army had the right idea and I will not PANIC. Centralheatking

I would say to to go and get your mum, but i guess you ideally need to have somewhere at your home where she can be isolated i.e. annex or something. Otherwise my thinking is that if she just lives with you whilst you go about your regular business she probably stands more risk of picking it up from you if you get infected than she would being at her own home??

My understanding is that if this thing goes the way it is forecast too it looks like the whole year is written off. I had a holiday holiday booked to Spain and Sardinia at the end of the month touring in a campervan. A week or so ago i was saying to my wife we'll still be going, then FOC advise against all travel to italy, then a couple of days later parts of spain, and now today advising against travel to whole of Spain. Everything is moving so quickly. I'm just one of many trying to contact my travel insurance and putting in a claim and thinking they cant pay out to everyone without going broke?

Have a comfortable spare room for her but that's it agree with you it's moving very quickly I can't have her self isolating for four months she won't cope with that. Kop

Hi Kop

I'd hang tight for a bit as they haven't quite imposed an elderly shutdown just yet. As RDS suggests, the question really is do you by bringing her to stay increase her risk of catching it? If you have a house full of kids probably not.

I popped into all my local supermarkets last couple of days trying to find some bog roll as we are genuinely down to using tissues. I don't give a stuff, I've travelled widely and happy to use hand and wash it after VERY carefully.

Shelves stripped bare, feck it bought some kitchen roll and cut it in half for the ladies.

Last edited:
Good advice bud i dont think we are at that point just yet but it may well come to it sooner than we think all the best . Kop

Sorry, meant if you have a house full of kids you're likely to increase her chances of getting it not decreasing.

Kop heard half of this tonight, I've read and listened to Dr. Chris Smith (virologist) for years as my eldest is at med school. Thought it was the most rational discussion I'd hear of late with decent advice without the hyperbole. Bare this in mind, the mortality rate will probably be around 1%. Ok one pecent of alot of people is alot but even amongst the over 80's 90% will recover.

Last edited:
From what some doctors have been told me I think the situation is very serious and unstoppable. We can't stop a virus which is basically similar to a cold virus.
It can be fatal to younger people and not just the over seventies.

Shops are being emptied here and I think they will get worse.
I am hoping to stop most work and stay at home as much as possible waiting to see how bad it becomes next few weeks.

Last edited:
Let’s get a sense of perspective 170,000 cases worldwide, out of 7.5 billion. 1500 cases in England out of 60 million plus.

I really think the media is creating panic and I’m not really sure why.

The actual health condition of the virus is very mild, only fatal in 1% of cases and that figures even lower in Germany at 0.25%.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t prepare and yes the NHS will struggle but planning for a pandemic is different to creating a panic. Right now it feels like they are creating panic.

What figures are you quoting Oz? No way imo nearly one in five persons over 70's are dying of this.

What figures are you quoting Oz? No way imo nearly one in five persons over 70's are dying of this.

That would be nearly 1 in 7 over 70s dying if 15%.
Problem is anyone who has already health issues or a weakened immune system will be at high risk of dying

Coronavirus...how it works. My friend is a professor of microbiology in Colorado USA. We talk in the early hours me at 5.0o am he before bedtime as that’s when our waking hours coincide. I asked him about the Virus.
1. The bug is contained/protected by a hard lipid (fat) shell which is very strong.
2. The hard shell is easily broken down by soap and hot water even fairy liquid...a bit like cleaning a varnish brush in thinners works but not in hot water.
3. Once the hard shell is broken the bug dies it transfers in this hard shell.
4. There is no point in using anti bacterial wipes as corona is a virus not a bacteria.
It really is that simple ...straight from a trusted friend and expert. Pass this on if you like as there is a lot of miss info about. Centralheatking

That would be nearly 1 in 7 over 70s dying if 15%.
Problem is anyone who has already health issues or a weakened immune system will be at high risk of dying

Well yes I did say nearly and I was rounding up a few times just to exagerate the point about statistics and more damn statistics. Of course you're right those with health issues will most likely be elderly and therefore more likely to perish. Mind you that disabled ex copper in the earlier poste article had probably already half eaten or drunk himself into an early grave by the looks of him.
[automerge]1584367029[/automerge]
Coronavirus...how it works. My friend is a professor of microbiology in Colorado USA. We talk in the early hours me at 5.0o am he before bedtime as that’s when our waking hours coincide. I asked him about the Virus.
1. The bug is contained/protected by a hard lipid (fat) shell which is very strong.
2. The hard shell is easily broken down by soap and hot water even fairy liquid...a bit like cleaning a varnish brush in thinners works but not in hot water.
3. Once the hard shell is broken the bug dies it transfers in this hard shell.
4. There is no point in using anti bacterial wipes as corona is a virus not a bacteria.
It really is that simple ...straight from a trusted friend and expert. Pass this on if you like as there is a lot of miss info about. Centralheatking

Wipes or sanitser? I haven't heard anything about using wipes to clean your hands. Soap and water preferable and sanitiser works as long as there is a high enough alchohol content, I suppose wipes don't work for that reason.

Last edited:
Anyone now thinking about cancelling work? After watching tonight's pm press conference I'm seriously thinking about it.

Anyone now thinking about cancelling work? After watching tonight's pm press conference I'm seriously thinking about it.

I wont cancel any work but I am pretty sure the next few months will just be maintenance jobs , leaks , breakdowns etc etc . Cosmetic jobs will get left by us and the customer.

I wont cancel any work but I am pretty sure the next few months will just be maintenance jobs , leaks , breakdowns etc etc . Cosmetic jobs will get left by us and the customer.
I like this idea. Not sure I could pull it off. In the middle of a big job.
[automerge]1584382329[/automerge]
What was said mate. Haven’t seen it.

Started something here haven't I 🥴 don't really know what to do to be honest , a colleague of mine had a boiler swap cancelled today the customer didn't want him in the house to be on the safe side , I suppose we should expect this to happen more and more in the coming weeks. Kop
[automerge]1584383048[/automerge]
No I won't cancel work but probably avoid any toilet jobs you still got to earn a bit to pay your way . Kop

Started something here haven't I 🥴 don't really know what to do to be honest , a colleague of mine had a boiler swap cancelled today the customer didn't want him in the house to be on the safe side , I suppose we should expect this to happen more and more in the coming weeks. Kop
[automerge]1584383048[/automerge]

No I won't cancel work but probably avoid any toilet jobs you still got to earn a bit to pay your way . Kop
I think it’s correct to share our knowledge and thoughts so well done Centralheatking

I've got a customer who's meant to be coming back from Germany (Permanently lives there) next week for us to fit a new boiler in his house here in the UK - doesn't look like that'll be happening and i'm not sure I even want it too!

So, the boiler fit can wait until this 'sombrero' has waxed and waned but there are still some of us that have to support a mortgage and kids. There is always a lot of maintenance to be done. The last call I had today was to a Vokera29HE. Lets say the old dear will be having to wrap up warm tonight. Has anyone any useful info on how supply chains, that we rely on for boiler bits, are predicted to react?

I was talking to my local Wolseley yesterday. They have had their first staff member self isolate. (Luckily they were off most of last week on holiday) I was told that they have been told to follow the government guidelines.

Anyone took time to study about the flu virus pandemic of 1918?
Seems this is similar to what is beginning now. Statistics are scary.
No wonder governments are taking this seriously.
Interesting programme on last night from two years ago comparing 1918 pandemic to what would be the biggest danger to world population when similar pandemic happens. Little did they know it would occur so soon.
Predictions so accurate to latest, -
1% of infected U.K. population would die, virus would gradually mutate and weaken, last a year or so ...

Last edited:
Anyone took time to study about the flu virus pandemic of 1918?
Seems this is similar to what is beginning now. Statistics are scary.
No wonder governments are taking this seriously.
Yes I did this morning, it was slightly different but up to 300m may have perished but it too morphed into a similar virus like this one has done. It’s the % mortality in specific regions is the one to watch and the statistical curve. I don’t expect we will ever really know the real figures. However mortality rates from alcohol abuse and road accidents etc. will fall. Centralheatking

Yes I did this morning, it was slightly different but up to 300m may have perished but it too morphed into a similar virus like this one has done. It’s the % mortality in specific regions is the one to watch and the statistical curve. I don’t expect we will ever really know the real figures. However mortality rates from alcohol abuse and road accidents etc. will fall. Centralheatking

In 1918 they hadn’t the knowledge or any medicine to fight the virus, but unfortunately we are not much more capable today

However mortality rates from alcohol abuse and road accidents etc. will fall. Centralheatking

Had to laugh at that. Currently in Italy with my father who is in the 'at risk' category and who is self-quaranteening himself (due to a fever that was most likely to do with an existing health condition). He works as a journalist for a regional paper and commented that since Italy has now closed all pubs and made a lot of restrictions on people's movements, there hasn't been a single road accident locally.

The next day, a man in his 80s managed to roll a land rover off a road and into a woodland on a road between two towns. In my father's words, where on earth was the man going? Guess who wrote the article :)

Wishing you lot all the best. Not yet convinced the UK government's plan will protect people. Seems to me Italy has decided its elderly population is more important than its economy whereas the UK will quite happily allow a number of vulnerable to people to die while advising but not forcing people to avoid pubs. Hoping I'm wrong. For what I've heard from Walton-on-the Naze (Essex), there is a lack of the cheapest essential foods, but normal supplies of anything that costs 5p more than the cheapest. The run on toilet paper sounds a bit weird as it's not dysentery! In Italy we all have bidets...

The governments plan isnt to protect people, it's to protect the NHS.

The chances are that the majority of people will catch the virus, various percentages bandied about, again another variable percentage will have no or little affect on their health. The remaining percentage will be split into two groups, those that suffer proper flu like symptoms and need a fortnight in bed. The remaining will need hospital treatment and potentially intensive care. The longer this is spread out then the better the nhs can cope.

We are advised to avoid pubs, clubs, restaurants etc but schools are still open, buses and trains running etc etc.

I appreciate the seriousness of the situation, but being self employed I need to keep working, obviously I have additional measures in place and about a weeks worth of work in one spot in an empty house that I will drop onto as the numbers get worse.

Being 52, compromised immune system and the need to work has me in a difficult position.

Exactly the same here bud not in great shape got a empty bungalow to fit heating in but really not got a clue best thing to do , Mrs is in the high risk category and should really self isolate but we need to have some cash coming in. Kop
[automerge]1584509364[/automerge]
On a lighter note maybe people will start having bidets fitted again chaps we could all be busy again soon add that to us website see how many hits ya get ha ha . Kop

Last edited:

Reply to Someone got to start this one 🤔 in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock