Discuss Shouldn't you turn off the gas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sarby

Just thought I'd relate this experience.
I called out a Gas Safe plumber to source a leak in the pipework.
I was impressed when he came promptly in the evening and soon found the leak.
I was even more impressed when he set to work to fix it, instead of leaving it for the next day.
And his bill was very reasonable with no call-out or unsocial hours charge.
But as I watched him cut into a pipe to isolate an appliance, there was a loud hissing sound.
As I started to run, I heard him say: "I thought I'd turned it off" and "Don't smoke" as he dashed out to cut off the supply.

Any comments? :bomb:

tired hard working plumber under stress trying to help a custard who thinks plumbers have endless battery's

it was a mistake,should not of happened,as said long day,trying to get you back on,you are turning gas on and off to check and recheck after isolating,tightening joints ect
Have I done the same,not very often but yes I have if I am honest

imho

We are all only human. Or most of us are.:thinking:
Mistakes happen. Main thing is all is well in the end.
The guy should not make that mistake again.

think weve all done this at some time wrong pipe or just a blonde moment ,doctors are lucky they usually bury their mistakes

Its and easy mistake to make. I cant remember the amount of times I have had to change a gas valve and forgot to isolate the boiler. Admittidley I have never cut into a gas main and not turned the gas off but I can see how he has done.

To be fair - you had a leak - he came right round - he fixed the leak - and charged you a fair price.

Most importantly he told you not to smoke and ventilate the area - the two things that are drummed into us at college from the start.

Fair play Mr Gasman I say.

I suppose he could have done the washing up though the idol sod :39:

it was a mistake,should not of happened,as said long day,trying to get you back on,you are turning gas on and off to check and recheck after isolating,tightening joints ect
Have I done the same,not very often but yes I have if I am honest

imho
Truth be told- I like puddle, am guilty of similar mistake.

youd need to have the gas on for a while longer than 30 seconds to cause an explosion.
simple mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shouldn't you turn off the gas? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently read a post / comment whereby there was a recommendation that if you are away from your home more than 24 hours, then you should turn...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, My customer has a gas fire (Gazco Logic HE fire, about 10 years old). It's a slide control fire. The fire has become difficult to...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock