Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Self Employed. Request for an idiots guide. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Ok so bit by bit i'm preparing myself for a career in plumbing. Ideally i'll find a position within a firm in order to gain the relevant experience before i go on my own.

Can anyone who has recently set up on their own or someone who has been doing it for a while post a step by step guide on what is needed in order to start working.

Obviously need quals, tools and vehicle but what else is needed in terms of insurance, accountant, advertising etc and what do these cost roughly. I may need all this info to hand in order to leave the army as they want to see a structured plan of what i intend to do so they know i'm not going to leave and be signing on etc (duty of care)

I have tried looking around on the internet to find this info but can't find anything that gives me the answers i need. I'm not lazy and expecting anyone to do my research for me so if you feel that way rather than post the info i am asking for links to useful websites would be equally appreciated. Thanks

Hi Armyash. Having left the military 3 years ago to do exactly what you're planning on doing I feel I'm in a good position to help. I also used to be a resettlement officer in the Navy before I left so whilst I'm probably slightly out of date on the regulations I might be a useful contact.

Probably the main thing to consider is what you are doing in the army at the moment. Are there any transferable skills? This should be your starting point to decide how much training you will need.

Feel free to drop me a private message to discuss anything.

you will need public liability insurance
register with tax man
don't need accountant as tax man puts courses on that tell you what records to keep and how to file a return. its pretty simple really.hmrc advice for the newly self employed covers it all
beyond all that just tools and van and advertising really.

good luck mate

Hi Armyash. Having left the military 3 years ago to do exactly what you're planning on doing I feel I'm in a good position to help. I also used to be a resettlement officer in the Navy before I left so whilst I'm probably slightly out of date on the regulations I might be a useful contact.

Probably the main thing to consider is what you are doing in the army at the moment. Are there any transferable skills? This should be your starting point to decide how much training you will need.

Feel free to drop me a private message to discuss anything.

Thanks very much for the reply.

I am unable to sign off for another few months due to my trade restriction so i feel limited as to what route to take at the moment. I have the 6129 and my gas qualifications. I am not GSR at the moment as i don't want to pay that out and not use it. Once i am in a position to commit to working as a plumber if it's ok i will contact you and hopefully you can offer me some advice or let me know what route in to the trade you took.

I have had a lot of good advice so far from this site and i'm storing it all for when i can put it all in to action.

I started in business 3 years ago. Your local Jobcentre should be able to put you in touch with their small business adviser. Their advice is free and they will help with things like what records uou need to keep, how to keep your books, advertising. They also run free courses on different aspects of running a business. This is all FREE. Good Luck.

Hi paulus I set up on my own 1 year ago, it's been tough as I lost my job with the firm I worked for and went strait on my own with literally no work or customers,, it's slowley getting there I still have the odd week where the phone doesn't ring, have you any tips or advice for gaining more work ? Also is this the way it went for you, I am out there trying all the time ?

Very Rough Budget!
Obviously it is asking how long is a piece of string but here are some rough figures:
Annual Pub Liability Ins £400, + you might want tools insurance etc..
Advertising weekly local paper approx £50
Don't need accountant
Van running costs fuel, maintenance, insurance - so variable depending what area you are covering, could say £100-£200 p w or more?
Obviously Gas Safe Register Membership (i can't remember and any other optional organisations you choose to join).
Phone £50 p m
Stationary, stamps, photocoping etc, £20 p m
You get an allowance for tax purposes for using your house as an office, can't remember what it is though.

Note: public liability is NOT compulsory you can work with out it but you would be mad to do so as any accident could result in your own personal bankrupsty (spelling)
If you employ anyone Employers Insurance Is required by Law.

You need to be registered for VAT only when turnover is a certain level (£70k ish) but it can be easy to reach this level if you supply everything.

It is really tough starting up so good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Armyash, The status of self employed is the simple part. But as in the mob there is a structure, they dont just let you loose with a gun. Even after training there is someone telling you what to shoot. The plumbing game is similar, get it wrong the cost is high. Satifying the punters if one thing, as in general they have not got a clue, but satisfying plumbing standards is far more difficult. Try and get a start with an established plumbing Co. in order to have support and feed back. Before moving to the front line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Self Employed. Request for an idiots guide. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock