Search the forum,

Discuss removal of drain interceptor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GBZ

I've got a client who is relaying their front drive and have been advised by Dyno-Rod to remove the drainage interceptor and just concrete over.

They do still have the occasional smell coming up the drains so not sure what to advise.

Any thoughts?

This is the old trap in the 4" glazed pipe inthe ground?

If the house now has a stack and vent, the trap is not required and potentially causes blockage problems.
It needs cutting out and a straight section of pipe fitting in it's place.

Hmm!

Check with Building Regs first. Interceptors where put there for a reason.

i used to do work for rapid on the drainage side and we always took out the interceptor and replace with a straight piece of pipe.

we were told and i have been told a few times the interceptor was designed along time ago and isnt upto the usage etc of today.

Interceptors were designed to isolate a property from the main drain line. The idea being to stop sewer gas and our little furry friends entering private property.

On modern drainage systems the main sewer run is usually ventilated at the highest point and through the holes in the manhole lids in the road. So interceptors are not required. The air purge is drawn down the main sewer ventilation and vents out up the private house soil stack vent.

The thing is if the main sewer is not vented then no air purge can take place without a ventilated manhole near the building boundary which usually then uses the interceptor seal as a means of keeping sewer gas out of the private drains.

Many interceptors had discharge points from the house drain at a higher level than the interceptors seal, so in point the interceptor grating acted as a fresh air inlet for the house drainage. The fresh air would go from the interceptor, through the properties drainage system and out the properties ventilated stack making for a through draft. The other way, the seal in the interceptor acted as a barrier to any fumes coming from the main sewer.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes bernie is right but.......... so
m
e interceptors also have anti flood valves fitted to prevent the
m
ain sewer fro
m
backing up into drains when surcharged in flood or full capacity) which is why you should always check with council first particularly in heavy built up areas e.g. large towns and city centres

Yes some do have anti flood valves in them. They can be a right pain as well. Many are just a ball that drops down when the tide is out or the main sewer is not flood charging. This allows the properties drainage to drain. When the main sewer is flooding the the ball rises and jambs in a seating usually rubber and stops the sewer water entering the property. But they get stuck and it is a dirty job to clear them again, usually meaning you get a coating of Pooh!

Some areas have high level drainage and the waste is pumped up into it. I have worked on systems with diaphragm pumps about 12' in diameter. When they block its a rough job. Usually in big buildings and the waste can back up quite a long way. Releasing it is tricky and once again its usually a good coat of Pooh! when it starts to flow. But its good fun!!

interceptor chambers in one building we used to attend had 2x 36 inch copper balls as float valves to activate 6 inch pumps to drains which were higher than the building
twice a year we had to go in the chamber and hose and scrape the wallls down clean and grease the wires on which the two balls rose up
it was a sought after job as doing it was night work and you got a new pair of pukka bolineum overalls
that made me wonder if bolineums were still made and i found this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolenium-SUPER-OVERALLS-ad-sign-Store-Disp-1930s-lee-/110594046376
and he looks a lot like the plumbers i was apprenticed to lol

Last edited:
As a point of interest in nearly every company I worked for, a gallon of disinfectant was added on to the price of clearing the drains with no hassle about it.

Sometimes, a good clogged remover solution can solve this kind of problem. I've experienced that before and tried to use Mr. Muscle clog remover. Luckily, it solve the problem. When that doesn't work, it is time to repair it manually or have a plumber to repair the problem as like Bernie said, it is a dirty work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to removal of drain interceptor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock