Discuss Recommend me a boiler and unvented cyl? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DesDixon

Hello all,

Property has 7 bedrooms, circa 20 radiators (5 of these will be towel rads), 1 electric shower, 4 gas showers, 1 bath.

I am looking for a new system boiler and unvented cylinder. Ideally, I'd like wifi control and zones.

What are your recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a decent heating engineer to design and install your system properly. You will not get a good cheap job from anyone. A proper job will be 5 figures if that's any use

That's fine - I am getting quotes at the moment but as my builder is doing a lot of work for me, he has passed the details on to heating engineers he uses too, so there is a possibility of a 'labour only' price and I supply the essential system parts (i.e. boiler, unvented cylinder, TRVs, Nest/Evohome or whatever).

So I wondered if anyone had any experiences/recommendations they could share?

before any of that make sure the plumber that you select from the builder is gas safe (see/ask for his card)

and i would go for a heat only boiler something like viessmann (heating eng will tell you the kw as he will need to do the heat loss calcs/ rad sizing calcs)

and a rm cylinder

and i would go for Honeywell evohome worth the extra cost

Yes Shaun, will definitely need qualified folks for this anyway but Building Control are all over this too so no room for cowboys!

What's the advantage of a heat only boiler versus a system when having an unvented cylinder?

Suitably sized Vaillant system boiler. Because you have seven bathrooms I would go for an ACV cylinder ( massive recovery) if on a budget, 2 x 250litre rm cylinders or santon premier plus.

NOT megaflo on that size ( nowt but bother!)

Yes Shaun, will definitely need qualified folks for this anyway but Building Control are all over this too so no room for cowboys!

What's the advantage of a heat only boiler versus a system when having an unvented cylinder?

still happens so just do your checks now before

less to go wrong on the boiler side,but you have your port valves mounted externally
there's really these days no advantage but i prefer the heat only

or theres another option go down the road of a instant water heater

rinnai make them worcesters also do

Last edited:
Suitably sized Vaillant system boiler. Because you have seven bathrooms I would go for an ACV cylinder ( massive recovery) if on a budget, 2 x 250litre rm cylinders or santon premier plus.

NOT megaflo on that size ( nowt but bother!)

There will be 1 bath and 4 showers supplied by the unvented cylinder. The 5th shower will be electric.

Viessmann with a four pipe system. With weather comp up to 10 year warranty.

Yes but the heat exchanger is warranted for ten years. All stainless steel ones up to 150KW

I have a feeling you depending on the size of the house you may be cascading 2 boilers
You have a big heat load on this one , but there are bigger rated boilers available, personaly I just do Viessmann .
Viessmann 200's only go to 35 KW .

I have a feeling you depending on the size of the house you may be cascading 2 boilers
You have a big heat load on this one , but there are bigger rated boilers available, personaly I just do Viessmann .
Viessmann 200's only go to 35 KW on domestic but over 100kw for a commercial one .

changed :D

where are you located des? maybe someone on the forum is close to you can could give you a price

post in link below if you want to

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

So one of the engineers has recommended a Telford cylinder and suggested I'd need a 500L- how do these compare with RM and others?

I am in the midlands.

Firstly where is the cylinders going as you need to think about the weight of up stairs and there fine, there's also another good make gledhill just to keep your options open

I'd prefer the cylinder in the cellar but the engineer advised against that. If not cellar, I have room on the ground floor to make a small boiler room (2m width by about 1 m depth).

Another has recommended an Oso Supercoil but looking at their tech specs, the max size they have is a 300 L but it does say that's enough for 6-7 people? So how can 300 L be enough for 6-7 people with this unless it's super efficient?

there many other many manufacturers such as Joule, Telford even McDonalds cylinders who will make you one almost any sized and shape you want

The sizes don't seem to bad, it's more specifying the right kit. At most there will be 4 showers and 1 bath running from the cylinder, however, I don't think that will be all the time.

Another chap has been round and is a Vaillant installer and recommends either the ecoTEC plus 637 or Viessman 100-w or 200-w 35 kw.

Any thoughts / preferences on here?

I have had bad experience of vailliants personally. Only done servicing/repair on viesseman so can't comment really.

Me personally I would have two acv smarts heated by two ideal vogues on a low loss header.
With weather compensation and multiple zones.
But I haven't seen the property or know your needs. Needs eyes on and correctly designing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Recommend me a boiler and unvented cyl? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Back