Discuss Push fit on an unvented. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi all.

Quick question.

Pushfit/speedfit on an unvented. I believe the reg's are that it's not allowed within 1 metre of cylinder?

Is this true?

I have fitted thermal stores where the manufacturer actually tells you not to solder directly to the store, or use compression, but use a pushfit.

If you were to cap a secondary return to an unvented cylinder, and did it via a compression coupling/short length of pipe/ and a JG Speed Fit stop end. Would you be contradicting regs?

Thanks.

From memory it's no pushfit/plastic on your d1 and d2 pipework.

Nothing against it in MI. Can't remember what regs say.

To cut a long story short:

I stuck a JG Speedfit Stop end, on a piece of pipe about 6" long, which went into a compression joint on the secondary return tapping on a Stelflow Unvented cylinder. I did this as the builder was going to utilise the secondary return as a second feed. The cylinder was in the loft, and I put in my quote that I was not responsible for lagging the pipe or protecting any of the system from frost damage.

I mentioned it in the quote as the client wanted their builder to do it, as he was going to fit a loft extension, and plumb away from the cylinder. I plumbed in the hot feed and the balanced cold to a room and capped them off (compression caps).

The client then fell out with the builder, as they ran out of money. The pipe work never got lagged. The cylinder pipe work froze last week, and they've had a flood. No one's blaming me at present, but I need to know that I'm in the clear.

The speedfit cap was never supposed to be a permanent feature, but in my opinion, it wouldn't have been as issue had the house been lived in (therefore cylinder in use) and had the pipe work been insulated. They didn't want me to do it, as they said it would be cheaper if builder did it.

Luckilly I have an email trail of this conversation and my quote says:

"
  • We have not allowed to build the timber base on which the cylinder must stand.
We have not allowed to insulate any pipework or protect the cylinder from frost damage."

Don't generally use pushfit on cylinders at all.

Certainly didn't use any on discharge pipework.

Sounds like you have all the bases covered and documentation to back it up. Always a nice feeling. Not keen on cylinders in the loft.

Yes D1&2 need to be in pipe suitable for potential temps

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Push fit on an unvented. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Back