Discuss Pump problem (too powerful?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalStreet

Hi- I have an odd problem. I have a powerful pump in my flat (which was put in as the water pressure was so low). The pump worked great for around 2 years, but for the past year has noisily switched itself on every 15mins or so, even if no water is being drained from the system (it makes a loud noise for around 5 seconds, like it does whenever the water's running continuously). The overflow is working so it’s not due to the water level dropping. I started switching it off at night coz it was keeping me awake.

Now the really odd thing- when I switch it off overnight, the cold taps run hot in the morning for a bit, and the toilet fills with very very hot water (like a radiator). I’m concerned the hot water’s going to damage the ballcock etc. Can anyone work out what’s wrong? Should I get a plumber in to try to fix the pump- is this a common prob?

Many thanks for any insight

a plumber would probably be your best option , there is a section on here "i need a plumber" chances are there's a qualified member near you .

welcome to the forum too

Sounds pretty bizarre.

Pump turning on occasionally would indicate to me that it's a negative head pump and something is letting by.

As to the hot water scenario, without seeing the pipework layout it would be difficult to guess the fault.

A call to a plumber would be a good start.

Thanks both- thought I might be missing something obvious/straightforward. Will post for some professional help in my area!

Have you got an un-vented hot water cylinder ?? If so, please make sure that the plumber has there un-vented ticket & knows about booster pump systems, as they are likely to be linked.

Have you got an un-vented hot water cylinder ?? If so, please make sure that the plumber has there un-vented ticket & knows about booster pump systems, as they are likely to be linked.

Yikes- no clue. I will outline the prob on the 'I need a plumber forum' and see what I get...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump problem (too powerful?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back