Search the forum,

Discuss Pulsating hot water supply to shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kmac

Hi everyone - wondering if anyone can offer words of wisdom.

I have a problem with the hot water supply to my shower. Its a bath mixer tap (compression washer type) with a shower head attachment - hot water is supplied by a combi boiler that also supplies 8 radiators. The central heating is fine and the hot water supply to both the kitchen and bathroom basin taps are fine. The boiler has recently been replaced and was working perfectly. We have very soft water and normal water pressure.

Intermittently, the hot water will rapidly pulsate from the shower head and there is a loud banging noise that goes along with it. When the water is pulsing, the whole water supply to the shower head pulses - it doesn't pulse hot/cold, it pulses water/no water. This is true even if the cold and hot are both on. I've tried to do some fact finding and this is what I have so far:

When the water is run through the bath tap (i.e. diverted from the shower head to the bath filler) everything is fine.
When the cold tap is opened and run on its own, everything is fine.
When the boiler is switched off and cold water is run through the hot water tap, everything is fine.
When the shower head is removed and the water run through just the hose, the problem persists.
When the shower head and/or the hose are changed to a new one, the problem persists.

The problem is intermittent but more likely to occur:
When the hot tap is turned on more fully/full.
In the evening.
Once it's happened, it happens every time the hot water is turned on. Only after a number of hours have passed (usually overnight) is it likely to function properly again.

If anyone has any ideas - please let me know. I'm hoping it's not a problem with the hot water line, because that run underneath the floor underneath the bath...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pulsating hot water supply to shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock