Search the forum,

Discuss Prison for gas fitter after work put family in danger... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexGas

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
[DLMURL="http://press.hse.gov.uk/2014/prison-for-gas-fitter-after-work-put-family-in-danger/"]Prison for gas fitter after work put family in danger. Media centre - HSE[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a pretty blatant abuse if the regs, no inner flue, and a cowl type shutter on the outside!! Yet he is only fined ÂŁ1000, no wonder so many non registered guys work illegally

Shocking job. At least got a couple of months to consider the errors of his ways.

He'll probably receive a grant from the Prisoners Educational Trust, and come out of prison Gas Safe registered, like the rest of you on here.:clap:

I just told a builder to jog on. Wanted me to send some one over to commission another boiler. I replied we don't commission illegal jobs. He said a cp12. Nobs been paying me to do cp12 and using that as a signing it off riddor!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately until the householder gets hit things like this will keep on happening. If people are unable to sell their house or their house insurance is affected they can't get cover for their boiler etc because they haven't got a signed off boiler they will go for the cheapest quote and not worry about the consequences. It seems death or serious health problems will not stop people so maybe financial would if they had to pay ÂŁ500 to have an appliance commissioned they would soon tell gas safe who installed it, now all you get is I don't remember!

It seems death or serious health problems will not stop people

You only need to look at people's driving, eating, drinking, smoking and sexual habits to realise that the way people treat their gas appliances is a trivially inconsequential example of human stupidity.

You only need to look at people's driving, eating, drinking, smoking and sexual habits to realise that the way people treat their gas appliances is a trivially inconsequential example of human stupidity.

Too true Ray; and like the above they end up paying for it in the long run.

The public are ignorant of the regulations are really you can't expect them to know, they don't get boiler moved or new boilers fitted very often.
The nanny state should have a system in place that makes it hard for rogue traders to work without putting the onnus on householders to know about the rules and check up on GSR.
Like only selling gas fittings to GSR installers, or tracking appliances and requiring them to be registered in a slightly different way to how it works now.
One problem with current system is the installation notification is under Building Regs.
completely different and separate to Gas Regs - enforced by HSE
they exist for different purposes and are implemented in different ways.

The whole system is to complicated, Gas Regs, Building Regs, MI's, H&S at work act. Then the inept enforcement that has to trawl through all of the contraventions a make them fit for prosecution. The irony is that most successful prosecutions come from not being registered with a class of persons approved by the HSE (Gas Safe Register) an easy to prove case.

More harsher sentences should be dished out for illegal installers. I reckon this guy got off too lightly.

Also, customer saying they spent ÂŁ10,000 to put it right? Doesn't that seem a bit doubtful?

Also, customer saying they spent ÂŁ10,000 to put it right? Doesn't that seem a bit doubtful?

British gas must of done the remedial works ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Prison for gas fitter after work put family in danger... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
Hello Everyone! My name is Cheyenne Strickler, and I am a recruiter with AmeriGas. I am currently hiring for a Service Technician in the following locations: Greenland, NH Concord, NH Laconia, NH Required Qualifications for Greenland and Laconia: Gas Fitter License CDL B Required...
Replies
Views
Cheyenne Strickler
C
Was working as a Plumbers Mate for about 6 months and got my Level 2 qualification. Enjoyed the job and wanted to make a career of it. Got into some trouble, lost the job and got sentenced to 19 months prison, did 9 months and now released on license. Job I had won't have me back so need to get...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hello , I have an Ideal Classic boiler ff350 which runs for 10 mins before the boiler cuts out. The circ pump keeps running at this time. The Pump and The Three port valve have been checked and the User Stat on the front has been Changed (by a Gas safe engineer) when the Boiler cuts out there is...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
British Gas servicing the above boiler ramped up the boiler to maximum in the installer menu to do flue gas analysis. They also measured the working gas pressure on the gas valve test nipple. This fell to 8mbar on maximum and 17mbar on high setting. They then removed the isolation valve under...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock