Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Previous engineer I.d. Gas fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lambchop

Mind numbing back story to this so very short version, office sent me to an ha tenant where previous guy attended a week before to do cp12.

gas fire was I.d. Due to spillage and was isolated at restrictor elbow as it was a private gas fire and warning notice served.

i would have used a 1/4" plug to cap at restrictor elbow, then done a tightness test. I would have only isolated at restrictor elbow if fire was ar. Chatting to another eng, my point was that you should always cap if id and screw down restrictor if ar but he reckons that is safe because tenant would have to use a tool (screwdriver) to turn the fire back on.

i disagree and say it's only isolated, because if TNT does unscrew restrictor elbow it's not capped as fire is live and can be used...

Been an awful day , roll on Friday!

am I going ott, I think I'm doing it right way

Never heard about this definition of it's capped if you require a tool to uncap it.... The other guy was so sure of it but I said if you id something only a Gsr can make it operational because they have to test gas line, rectify what's been done to it, I.e remove plug, physically reconnect gas appliance, test gas line and then do all safety checks to make sure it's pass after remedial work has been done

I would never trust a customer/tenant In that situation, disconnect it every time .

Yeah cap it, definition of Id is "cap the gas" turning it off is not right for several reasons but in my opinion very few landlords will replace fire as they have central heating so not worth spending money on!!
Also what if the elbow is letting by?

I don't do CP12's anymore but if there was a reason to cap off a gas fire I always cut the pipe and either used a soldered cap end or a compression.......complete disconnection.

AR just needs to be "turned off" from the supply. So screwing down restrictor, or isolating as gas cock on boiler is fine.

ID needs physical disconnection from the supply, and as you obviously can't leave an open end, therefore needs capping.

As ads says, it's in the regs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Previous engineer I.d. Gas fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock