Discuss Potterton performa 30he intermittent hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan the plumber

Evening all,

As the title says, I have a potterton performa 30he combi which is roughly 6yrs old.

Over ee the past few months, gradually the hot water has been getting less hot to the point where it now runs luke warm when the tap is opened, runs cold then Luke warm (if I am lucky!).

I thought it may be a dirty plate heat exchanger but a friend of mine (who is a RGI) said he reckons it could be the diverter!?
I have now replaced both the diverter & pressure diff valve diaphragm's but am getting the same results in terms of hot water (heating is working fine!)

Any ideas or suggestions please....would be greatly appreciated by my misses as she is giving me grief for having to have cold showers daily :) lol

thanks all

I take it you ain't done a great deal off repairs Dan? The temp sensor is the first (and cheapest) bit to replace if you are not sure! May well be faulty? When you run hot water what temp do the lights get up to on the front? How familiar are you with testing electrics and components... Resistance, voltage? And know how to read the results?

I take it you ain't done a great deal off repairs Dan? The temp sensor is the first (and cheapest) bit to replace if you are not sure! May well be faulty? When you run hot water what temp do the lights get up to on the front? How familiar are you with testing electrics and components... Resistance, voltage? And know how to read the results?

Yep my thoughts exactly the thermistor is fairly easy to check ,check the temp as close to the thermistor as possible then check the resistance on the thermistor with multi meter then check against chart, the plate hex may be scaled up inside I have descaled in the past with kettle cleaner but does not work every time sometimes just as easy to change prices anywhere from £60 to £90 shop about.

Thanks guys. @diamondgas....indeed you are correct my friend= I have done very few repairs. The reason for this is I am not yet GSregistered (although for some reason I have that title on here!!). I have donea 1 day a wk gas foundation course for the past year at a local college &am now in the process of building my portfolio before going back to do myinitial. Because this is my own boiler I am trying to sort myself (obviously upto the point where I cant!) as is good experience & also another job tostick in my portfolio!
I mentioned to my mate (who is gs reg) and the diverters washis suggestion hence tried that first. Personally I thought either the temp sensoras is the cheapest & fairly easy to replace, or the plate heat exchanger.
The temp lights get up to 40c and that’s about it now unlessthe heating is on (and pressure has built up) and then it tends to get hotterbut doesn’t always maintain that temp!
I do have a multi meter but Ill be the first to admit that Iam not that “au fait” at using it!!! I have a vague understanding.
As soon as I have my certs…..i am booking my a55 on as manyfault finding courses as poss…lol

Im in here as im registered as GS on here for some reason! not sure how and why, but I am!!! maybe its because im a "plumbers arms" member!!? Anyway, as for my boiler...im trying to fix it-lol-Im well aware that im not certified to do so "alone" but would only ask my mate who is gs reg to watch me whilst I do it anyway! I would not even entertain carrying out repairs on gas related parts without being supervised by a registered gas engineer!

No disrespect mate but I've reported your post and hope the badge is removed until you've earned it! You're asking questions that are beyond your ability IMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm closing this thread and have requested your accesses be stripped.

Don't know how you slipped through Dan, but you did.

And that's our fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton performa 30he intermittent hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock