Search the forum,

Discuss paperwork in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
what system do you guys have in place to keep ontop of the mountain of paperwork we have to deal with mostly receipts. I have a big pile of paperwork to go through and its going to be a nightmare !!

Hi I have used Quick Books with success. But i think the banks are marketing even better software products now. It is often better to put all the expense receipts in a box and give them to a third party to sort them and log on the soft ware. Once you become accustomed, your vat return and tax are 90% sorted. Good Luck

I have a books program on my computer that I use, I just end up leaving it until i've got a mountain to do instead of doing it weekly lol will need to get a rythm in place

the woman does my invoicing and ive now just employed a book keeper / accountant , am just wayyy to busy

what system do you guys have in place to keep ontop of the mountain of paperwork we have to deal with mostly receipts. I have a big pile of paperwork to go through and its going to be a nightmare !!

I pin anything bought for a particular invoice together with the invoice. Have a separate box for consumables, stock, and other. I've got myself into a discipline of invoicing and paperwork once a job is complete! Use Microsoft Money for my records and a Microsoft works spread sheet to keep tabs on things.......! And I have an accountant to pass it all too end of the year! lol

I have a spreadsheet and lever arch file for all the paperwork.

Takes me around an hour to write the annual letter to the accountant, email the spreadsheet and post the paperwork.

I wait until the pile of paper work is about 4" deep, then I throw all my toys out the pram until the wife helps me work through it.

Well you wanted the truth.

Oh and I get a large accountants bill every year.

I keep all the receipts in a monthly folder. That gets sent to the accountant. I had a meeting with him the other week and he said I could save a good few quid if I did the book keeping myself. I think we do enough with working on the tools, finding more business, invoicing, quoting.....

I also have to have a sit down with the accountant twice a year to go through things...I've just gone Ltd, which means new bank accountants, and all the other hell that goes with it. I hate paper work.

that sounds like me, when i get home from work its relaxing time lol. I keep my receipts seperated monthly and do my own books, but it is seriously annoying and boring, and this is me with not alot of customers so can't imagine what it would be like when im much busier. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get on with it.

I need to do my tax return for last year as I am due a rebate since I was employed until october plus I have a van and other capital to claim, will the accountant take their money off of the rebate or will I have to pay them ?

By-the-way ... Don't forget to pay yourself cash as wages now and again out of your 'petty cash' !!! Helps IRS account for your lack of cash withdraws from the hole in the wall!.. :D

Invoices are filed monthly - that means kept in big envelopes - i don't buy them i recycle ones we receive.
I put all the details onto my own spreadsheet.
All income details are on another page of same spreadsheet.

There is a separate spread sheet to record details of payments & In Rev deductions for subcontractors.

So far this is all simple - simple but boring!

The only difficult thing i find is recording materials supp;ied by subcontactors - even more complicated if the subbies are VAT registered.
At the moment I record this info on my subcontractors spreadsheet and I just have to remember I have some details of materials there as well as on the main spreadsheet.

I just find the paperwork is getting more and more boring,thinking of taking hypnotic treatment to null the pain, its just never ending

And I hate the way all the big institutions you have to deal with ,think we are like them, able to afford staff to sit about most of the day and spend 5 hours looking for a old gsr or invoice for 57p

Was promised a paperless society but now we have the paper side and the computerside

Am really depressed now thinking about it and I have to spend today just doing paperwork ,printing off gas safety reports ,invoicing, registering ,filling in ledgers,filing away bits of paper, saving bits of spread sheet ,attaching bits and replying to e mails

Where’s that Samaritans number,what fool mentioned paperwork !!!

:banghead: :mad2:

:banghead::banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of paperwork - what about comply with all the red tape most of which we might not know about or did know about and have forgotten....
1. I think the van is supposed to have a no smoking sign in it.
2. My house is supposed to have details of the limited company on a sign outside (but only a sign of a certain size to make sure it does not conflict with that other bit of legislation about no boards outside the house without planning permission except for sale signs.
3. Am I supposed to be displaying some health and safety info? should that be in the office or at every site of work? Or perhaps I don't have to. i can't remember.
4. And these days we are all supposed to give the customer something in writing about their right to cancel -with the date on it and a tear off slip so they can send it back and cancel the job! How ridiculous and what another load of paperwork and admin. I can't remember any of our customers cancelling - but if they want to it is not a problem.

well i keep all my receipts in my pocket til the end of the week then they go in a box file indexed monthly.

each full month gets totted up and figures recorded on paper kept with that months receipts.

i do my own returns and use the 'simple method' of claiming mileage only so i don't have to faff about calculating depreciation etc.

i have invoice book with payments received. and at year end take outgoings from incoming, add on my taxable mileage allowance and i got my figure to pay tax on. IR website input figures and they tell me what to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to paperwork in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock