Discuss One external stopcock for three houses. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Did a job in a funny little road with lots of little town houses which look like mini cottages. Couldn't find internal stopcock. There were 3 external ones in a road of 7 or 8 houses. The one that turned off her water was at the end of the row, past another two houses which it presumably also turned off. I guess the houses could have been split up into separate buildings since the water supplies were run - but doesn't really look like it to me.

I wasn't sure what she should do so I told her to look everywhere she could for her internal stopcock and phone up water authority and enquire about why she doesn't have an external one but I'm guessing they may say the responsibility (cost) of having an external one installed lies with her? Do you have a right to one or is it more a case of if a house has been turned into two then it's the developer's responsibility to pay?

It was the norm back in the day for one supply to multiple properties. in fact round here you can fin some that do the whole cul-de-sac, or even on a ring with one service valve at both ends, so you turn one of only to find its back feed from the other end!! but i think you'll find the most suppliers will say that it is your resposability to get a seperate main put in!! they don't tlike doing to much!!

If the customer's open to having a water meter this should solve the problem.

It is not at all unusual for older properties to have one external stopcock for several properties. You could get her to ask her nieghbours if they know where their internal stopcocks are. Also in some there is an additional "internal" stopcock that is actually outside in the ground adjacent to where the pipe comes into the property, say outside the kitchen in the back garden.

you after some free advertising there? try asking first mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to One external stopcock for three houses. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock