Discuss One boiler or two? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have two Ideal HE24 boilers each with unvented tanks supplying two wings of my house. The wings were originally separate houses and when I bought the second part a completely separate system was the simplest solution. One wing is all radiators, the other mainly underfloor heating.
Needless to say the HE24s have been a total pain ( LF errors, leaks, dead pcbs etc ) and although only about 10 and 6 years old respectively I've had enough. I'm looking to replace them, probably with Worcester Bosch.
My question is would I be better replacing them with one higher output boiler? I'm thinking mainly in terms of running costs as I'm currently paying around £2500 pa for gas. I realise you can only answer in general terms without knowing the layout of the systems but that would still be helpful.

As you say impossible to say with any certainty without seeing the system(s), but I would be thinking 2 smaller boilers on a low loss header, the possible 3 circuits off the header (hw, rads and ufh) reasons being, added redundancy, both boilers can do anything and a better turn down rate than a single larger boiler. Downsides being increased install and maintenance costs and space required.

I would also avoid worcester but that is a personal thing, you can do better for the money.

It is completely up to you. The advantage of having two lower output boilers instead of one high output is that you'll always have half of your requirement should the one fail. The disadvantage are cost of installing, servicing and maintaining.

The Worcester CDI system boiler is a very reliable unit in my experience, the outputs seem to not match your requirements, the largest is 42KW and the smallest is 30KW, so you'll be oversized if you choose two and undersized if you have one.

The Worcester CDI system boiler is a very reliable unit in my experience, the outputs seem to not match your requirements, the largest is 42KW and the smallest is 30KW, so you'll be oversized if you choose two and undersized if you have one.[/QUOTE]

worcester also do 12, 15, 18 & 24 in a system, tho its not the cdi version! Which I also prefer! Lol.

it will probs be cheaper to have two seperate boilers, there would be alot of change to pipework to combine as 1 system I imagine, especially if its two seperate houses!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have got someone coming in to look at the options but I was hoping to get a broader view of the pros and cons in case he too says "its up to you".

The cheapest option short term is no doubt to replace the one that is particularly bad and do the other in a year or two when that goes again. But my thinking maybe was that a bigger spend now to combine the systems might be a wise investment if it significantly reduces running costs. As well as servicing I'm thinking of gas use which no one has commented on. Any views on consumption of one big boiler vs two smaller ones?

I have had occasion to be glad of having two boilers when one was down but I'd hoped not all are as bad as Ideal!

A more radical option would be to replace the one driving the underfloor heating with an air source heat pump but at the moment the costs don't seem to stack up. Any thoughts?

If you are really thinking about joining the system and having stil 2 boilers then Viessmann might be best option as these actually can deal with literally any flow condition.

Fitting a neutralizer might be another option but for the two boilers you need then one pump each, one for the CH and one for the UFH at least. Which in return means your utility bills might not exactly decrease.

The UFH can get used on low temperatures, blasting it up with a neutralizer and then cooling it down again is another thing that is definitely not lowering you energy usage.

A more radical option would be to replace the one driving the underfloor heating with an air source heat pump but at the moment the costs don't seem to stack up. Any thoughts?

Using an ASHP isn't a viable option when gas is available and won't be as reliable.

My vote would be for 2 boilers, 1 now and 1 later.

Maybe you need to look at the control of the heating to make sure you are only fully heating when required.

And you may get recommended an ideal, don't be put off due to past experience, new models are excellent.

Using an ASHP isn't a viable option when gas is available and won't be as reliable.

My vote would be for 2 boilers, 1 now and 1 later.

Maybe you need to look at the control of the heating to make sure you are only fully heating when required.

Thats quite a good option. I may also suggest adding good insulation to your's house (>2k oa for gas is a bit over the top, unless the outside walls are 1/2 brick thick and no loft insulation), and aim for maximum system flow temperature no more than 40-50 degrees . (so that you can rig UFH directly to the boiler circuit).

That may mean some expenditure on the double panel double convector rads... but usually it is worth every penny in my opinion.

Also it may make ASHP economical when the outside temp is >5 degrees and the COP will be >=4...

The bypass link can be also beneficiall, so you can hat both halves with one boiler. Also consider zoning and partitioning those open plan areas, which are huge energy/money hogs unless insulated to A class and airtight.

PS: The plummer which may suggest up sizing rads will loose the top position if sorted by lowest quote price first...
But will jump to the top when ROI is concerned (Return On Investement).

2 x WB 30 CDi system boilers ( can be down rated via internal software to suit system and gas meter load)
WB LLH
Fullmodulating Pumps, zoned and sized to suit
Controls updated
TRV's fitted where needed
A sprinkle of my magic

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

The consensus is clearly to stick with two boilers. This surprises me because I had assumed one boiler would be much cheaper to run than two of the same total output. That's good to know given that replacing one at a time is the cheaper initial option.

So it looks like the way forward is to replace the one boiler and get the system checked over. The money saved on the more radical options can go to better insulation. This is tricky as it's a listed building - I have plenty of loft insulation but walls are solid stone 2 - 3 ft thick and no chance of double glazing. Also surprisingly big windows for such an old house, on 2 or even 3 sides of most rooms. I think a programme of window repair and secondary glazing is called for.

BTW - the two current systems are on separate controls so the part we use mostly during the day goes off in the evening and vice versa. And we do have TRVs set to minimum in unused rooms. And in addition to the £2500 oa gas we spend about £600 pa on logs. No, we're not nudists - we wear jumpers!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.The consensus is clearly to stick with two boilers. This surprises me because I had assumed one boiler would be much cheaper to run than two of the same total output. That's good to know given that replacing one at a time is the cheaper initial option.So it looks like the way forward is to replace the one boiler and get the system checked over. The money saved on the more radical options can go to better insulation. This is tricky as it's a listed building - I have plenty of loft insulation but walls are solid stone 2 - 3 ft thick and no chance of double glazing. Also surprisingly big windows for such an old house, on 2 or even 3 sides of most rooms. I think a programme of window repair and secondary glazing is called for.BTW - the two current systems are on separate controls so the part we use mostly during the day goes off in the evening and vice versa. And we do have TRVs set to minimum in unused rooms. And in addition to the £2500 oa gas we spend about £600 pa on logs. No, we're not nudists - we wear jumpers!
You definitely would need some energy advice. Seems your setup is not very good. 2-3ft walls are relatively good insulators anyway.

And do not get put off from double glazing. Of course you can have it. I live in a listed building myself and we got double glazing.It might not be the cheapest option but some good joiners/glazers can make replicas of your windows just with double glazing.Sometimes even double glazing can get fitted into the existing frames.

As for the insulation they have replaced the plasterboard by foam back plasterboard. Makes quite a difference. As much as for draught proofing as well as for making the rooms heating up quickly.

With your gas usage I would first look at the UFH. As plenty of them have been fitted as UTFH (under the floor heating). Been replacing a few of them now already with little or no insulation under the pipes/screed.

In one scenario we fitted once trench heating round the walls to create a hot air curtain as a shield against cold draughts from the walls combined with UFH in the rest of the floor area. Walls were meant to be left coarse looking with no insulation inside or outside.

The other thing is trying to switch things off to much can sometimes be a costly mistake as you turn your inside walls into outside walls and enlarge the surface in addition. The radiators in the remaining rooms then have to fight against heat losses they have not been specified for.

If it needs be then make sure that unused rooms are adjoining and temperatures increase towards used rooms.Further it can sometimes (lets say quite often) safe to keep a constant background heat at all times to prevent cold draught effects from walls which require you to heat higher than normal to still be comfortable.

Rule of thumb is: If the wall temperature differs more than 3 degC from the air temperature in the room you do get this "wind chill effect". Most people describe it as the walls radiating cold.

Problem really is, without enough information it is guessing. And even with enough information it is sometimes a bit playing around with monitoring to find a better setup.

By the way, a good thing is to place radiators underneath windows to prevent streams of cold air falling into the room. Even more so if you are still on single glazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to One boiler or two? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back