Search the forum,

Discuss Old lead pipe leading into house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tohrasup

Dear all

Need some advice regarding old lead water piping. About 2 years ago the water pipe that leads into my house sprang a leak and initially it looked like it could be a massive repair job, what with it being an old lead pipe coming into the house from the street, under my front door and into the cupboard under the stairs in my living room. The plumber tinkered around with it and thankfully it stopped, otherwise everything would have had to have dug up. My question is this; i'm off abroad for a few weeks soon and am unsure whether or not to turn the water supply off outside at the mains. Ive read that sometimes a sudden change in pressure can cause a leak in old piping like this. But on the other hand I would be worried about leaving the water supply on.

help!

turn it off in the street and save up to have a new mdpe pipe laid later on, nothing to stop you digging your own trench to save ££££

Old lead pipe can corrode badly if backfill includes materials that react with the lead. For piece of mind turn off at main, but don't use excessive force, a complete shutdown is unnecessary.

1st I would turn it off, 2nd have a read of your house insurance, if your going to be away for more than 30 days you may have to drain the whole system,

Once back talk to your water board, some have lead replacement schemas to replace old lead pipes. Don't necessarily need to dig a trench as a mouse system may be able to put in the mdpe which is well worth looking int.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old lead pipe leading into house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock