Discuss oil in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Clifton

Gas Engineer
Hi
I wanna do oil course to obtain OFT 101 OFT 105E AND OFT 600A
Do i need to build portfolio like you do to be gas safe?

Looked into it myself, training centre will be easiest route. they made no mention of portfolio. Course was about a week for experienced plumber or gas fitter. If you were neither I assume a portfolio may be in order and training much longer.

Hi
I wanna do oil course to obtain OFT 101 OFT 105E AND OFT 600A
Do i need to build portfolio like you do to be gas safe?

What experience do you have with oil?

I think there's an oft50 which is an introduction, but depends on experience.

Yes, you def need fair bit of knowledge to do the 105 part as it is about heating systems whereas 101 is supposed to be about servicing / commissioning boilers. A lot was open book + multi choice questions.

I was lucky, I spent quite a bit of time with an oftec engineer before i did the courses/assessments. I was out servicing and doing breakdowns. Real interesting stuff. Can't beat getting paid to get dirty and smelly. :)

You can do the theory well enough but without experience you will struggle, especially with older kit. On the courses they only do the basics and don't teach you a lot of really useful and important stuff which you will only pick up off a technician.

To be honest, not sure I learned much from it. I remember questions ( open book) like - " What EN number does a nozzle have to be?" . Anyone know, quickly of the top of their heads? Didn't think so.

To be honest you can get your qualifications ok but it doesnt mean that you know much about oil. The courses spend too much time on theory and little on practical experience such as fault finding and setting up problem boilers etc. You wiull only get this experience from someone who does it all the time. You need to find a friendly engineer who you can go out with and you also need a GURU who you can ring in times of need and believe me there will be a few times when you will need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oil in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
I was finished my plumber course level2 need company o man to signature my portfolio. I was finished last year. I try to find company no easy to...
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys I finished my gas course in September can anyone help me i need to do 2 install and services. Am living i ln leeds west yorkshire I do...
Replies
Views
Ahmad marian
A
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This...
Replies
Views
Back