Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy TRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

craigy

I have a noisy TRV on one rad only which is the only TRV to be changed in the bungalow. New combi fitted to old 2 pipe system. Most of the TRVs are fitted to the returns as they were when first installed, the kitchen is the only rad to have the TRV fitted to the flow. The noise is coming from a living room rad which has been replaced with the TRV on return. Have bled and balance the system, the TRV is bi-directional. Only bangs when cooling or on setting 2-3. Changed TRV no difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Is the arrow on the bi-directional valve facing the right way? This would be pointing away from the rad if it is on the return.

Is the arrow on the bi-directional valve facing the right way? This would be pointing away from the rad if it is on the return.

It's BI directional!!!

Was that a serious question?

Yes it was as on a bi-directional valve you need to adjust the arrow on the valve so that the arrow is running with the flow

Yes it was as on a bi-directional valve you need to adjust the arrow on the valve so that the arrow is running with the flow

Bi directional valves can go either way. Hence the name bi

Older valves could only go one way.

Have a look at a bi directional valve and you will see an arrow pointing both ways

yes i know how a bi-directional works but you still need to ensure that the adjustable arrow is going the right way this is my point ( danfoss )

yes i know how a bi-directional works but you still need to ensure that the adjustable arrow is going the right way this is my point ( danfoss )
scotty is right the danfos brand have a arrow that needs to be pointed the right way,however most bi valves can be fitted either way with no adjustment to the OP if the trv has been replaced try opening the locksheild valve slightly see if this helps if not try swapping to a different make trv

scotty is right the danfos brand have a arrow that needs to be pointed the right way,however most bi valves can be fitted either way with no adjustment to the OP if the trv has been replaced try opening the locksheild valve slightly see if this helps if not try swapping to a different make trv

What's the point in it being bi directional if you have to fit it in the right direction?

What's the point in it being bi directional if you have to fit it in the right direction?
theres a arrow on the head of the danfos you just turn by hand when fitted it supposedly eliminates this problem,even though all bi valves should do what they say on the box every now and then you will get some that dont

You fit them any direction you want, it has an adjustable arrow which you can adjust simply with two fingers,if you don't adjust the arrow correctly they can make a noise as it is a danfoss valve ( very common ) i am suggesting this as a possible solution

Others, such as
presetting versions and special ‘radiator’ valves, are also obtainable.

Bi-directional valve bodies are claimed to allow flow in both directions, removing any

possibility of incorrect installation. Before these were introduced, valves fitted the wrong

way round often caused system noise through water hammer. These older flowdependent

valves carried arrows on their castings indicating the correct flow direction to

avoid the risk of water hammer.

Danfoss Revolver.
Unfortunately, even the new specially designed bi-directional valves

produced by numerous manufacturers have been found to occasionally give rise to

system noise. Danfoss intensive research found that it was physically impossible to

produce a bi-directional valve of this type that would eliminate noise every time under

every set of conditions.

Looks like you can fit them any direction.

Apologies Scott for thinking you were an idiot. I'm obv the idiot

I've only ever fitted cheap-as-chips TRV's so have never come across this Danfoss arrow mallarcky. Good to know.

On the back of the box it has several examples on which way the arrow should be pointing

always buy danfoss trv's myself. here's a tip for anyone who does'nt already know. always buy the 8/10mm trv's even if you need 15mm as they are both the same price . you get a 8mm & a 10mm reducer for free this way. you only have to add an olive for the 15mm valve.

Wow I didnt expect such a discussion! I will check back on the directional arrows on the body of the valve, if I did have to change it then that would mean the trv head pointing horizontally instaed of vertically. Hey ho.
Thanks for the advice

always buy danfoss trv's myself. here's a tip for anyone who does'nt already know. always buy the 8/10mm trv's even if you need 15mm as they are both the same price . you get a 8mm & a 10mm reducer for free this way. you only have to add an olive for the 15mm valve.
thats ok till like me you now have about 30 reducers you seldom use and im to mean to throw themaway so they sit in a compartment taking up room

thats ok till like me you now have about 30 reducers you seldom use and im to mean to throw themaway so they sit in a compartment taking up room

Yup got a box full of them myself, it even more annoying when you go to use one and find that the section that extends into the valve is slightly too long to fit in the fitting you have so it doesn't seal :83:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy TRV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock