Discuss No central heating...new boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Yep limescale is quite bad around here. Well boiler hasn't tripped out yet, so fingers crossed it's problem solved!. All I need to do now is try and bleed the towel rad, it hasn't got the typical bleed valve, just some flat screw on both sides which was impossible to turn!. Any suggestions?

Towel rads often have those, you should still be able to use a normal bleed key on them which I'd recommend over trying to use a flat head screwdriver with the risk of stripping/breaking the bleed nipple.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough it's a totally flat screw. Flat as a penny.

In which case you're going to have to use a flat head screwdriver, you need to make sure you use a screwdriver that fits it exactly or you'll strip the head if you use one that's a bit too small and you then need to have enough downward force on the screwdriver that it doesn;t jump.

In which case you're going to have to use a flat head screwdriver, you need to make sure you use a screwdriver that fits it exactly or you'll strip the head if you use one that's a bit too small and you then need to have enough downward force on the screwdriver that it doesn;t jump.
I don't think I have one big enough!.

I don't think I have one big enough!.

You need to get one or you'll just end up stripping the head. Your best bet is probably to go to somewhere like screwfix and get a decent set of flat head screwdrivers. To work out which one to use, narrow it down by eye to the 2 or 3 that look closest in size and then very lightly test them by seeing which one grips/doesn't jump with very little downward pressure.

You need to get one or you'll just end up stripping the head. Your best bet is probably to go to somewhere like screwfix and get a decent set of flat head screwdrivers. To work out which one to use, narrow it down by eye to the 2 or 3 that look closest in size and then very lightly test them by seeing which one grips/doesn't jump with very little downward pressure.
Is there an easy way to Change that valve?

They are normally fairly easy to change, you shouldn't even need to drain anything assuming your valves don't letby. Close both valves to the rad making a note of how many turns it took to close the lockshield valve, then open bleed nipple to release any pressure in the rad*, use a spanner or adjustable spanner to remove the bleed valve, apply ptfe to new valve, screw it back in, open up lockshield by however many turns you noted down at the start and bleed rad./

*If you can't undo the bleed nipple you will need to skip this step and instead slightly crack open the bleed valve with a spanner, use towel to soak up water that weeps out, once its stopped weeping then remove it completely.

Hi everyone, I am at my wits end and am at the point where i want to smash my boiler with a sledgehammer...
Ok I'll begin...moved into my new house in October, the previous owner installed a new baxi ecoblue 16kw heat only boiler back in July.
Friday just gone I had 2 new rads installed as the living and dining rooms had neither (underfloor heating and a gas fire), also a new thermostat as the old one was an old Honeywell dial clicker. Rads and thermo went on fine no problems, turns out though when my installer was in the airing cupboard he found that the 3 way valve was hanging off its pipe and the previous engineer hadn't flushed out the system prior to installing new boiler....still reading? ;)
Friday evening the boiler decided to blow it's fuse, of course I am thinking wtf?! And eventually found an 3amp fuse and boiler opens up again no issues....forward to monday my engineer replaces the ball cocks in the loft as they were the outlawed ones ,replaced the 3 way and a new timer , along with adding some inhibitor as there was none in the system. He showed me the wiring in the junction box and said it looked terrible, wires all over the place so tidied them up a bit. Boiler working his job all finished, later that day the fuse blows again so I replace. ..
Fast forward to today, woke up with the heating and water nice and hot, timer set to go off at 0945...rads start cooling down at 930, and since then rads aren't warming up even though we have water, prior to all this rads would only also work with the water heated up. The thermostat is set to 23o on the wall with the little flame permanently on, the timer is showing that water and heating is on but there is no heating. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on because I want to tear out this rubbish and put a combi in its place.

Thankyou
You have 3-port from what you describe. Can you please check on your hot water or heating demand, there is a small lever on the zone valve is this moving freely.

You have 3-port from what you describe. Can you please check on your hot water or heating demand, there is a small lever on the zone valve is this moving freely.
Well surprise surprise another problem, no hot water, heating is lovely and hot but no hot water this morning. Pipes leading to the cylinder were warm not roasting, I managed to touch the bottom of the cylinder and it was cold, i tried moving small lever on the 3 way valve and it would barely move a third of the way. So that's knackered also now??

Reply to No central heating...new boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock