Search the forum,

Discuss New fitting onto older pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bridgedino

Hi There, My first post and looking for some advice please.

I am re jigging my bathroom and have taken the hot and cold supply back to the original pipe work with the intention of building the new pipe work from this point. Both the hot and cold supply come up to the bathroom from the kitchen below and appear in the bathroom floor from a corner of the room. Although they both appear to be 22mm pipes they are matt silver in colour so I am unsure if they are copper, stainless steel or chrome plated copper and wether I can build onto them with regular compression fittings?

I doubt that they are chrome plated copper pipes as they appear to be reasonably old ( house is 80yrs old ex council house) If indeed they are stainless steel then I would think I would have to use green olives for the first compression conection , thereafter normal modern fittings.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Are they lead pipes?

If so, I'd re-plumb in copper as lead ain't good for you, as far as I know ...

Not lead ,no. i have come accross lead pipes before so i am certain they are not

Then I think you can use standard compression fittings but you'll probably need imperial sized olives.

I'd wait for someone else to confirm this before you go shopping!!

Will do, Thanks. Dont fancy leaving the wife with no running water while i swan around looking for the right part. Wont be the first time I have opened up pandoras box only to find I dont have the part i need...usualy on a sunday night at 8pm

photo(1).jpg The pipes in question are the two curved bottom ones

You should be good with normal 22mm compression fittings. I would cut the rings off the existing fittings instead of cutting through the pipe below the tee aswell incase you cut too low and don't leave a full slip.

Thanks, will get hold of a couple of imperial olives aswell, just in case

Looks like stainless steel to me. before you go cutting it just try new compression fittings on the nut and olive already on the pipe, just to see what kind of seal you get

That's chrome isn't it? Odd to see it used where it wouldn't be seen and in 22mm - but looks like chrome to me.

I reckon it's steel - lots of houses were plumbed in steel 80 years or so ago due to the copper shortage of the time.

I've not done steel so I'll get meself some green olives ...!!!

:troll:

im with the gas man try to reuse the nuts and olives that are there id say its definately stainless

Last edited:
yep try to reuse....if it weeps a bit try some jointing paste and a wrap of ptfe around the olive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New fitting onto older pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock