Search the forum,

Discuss New boiler modulating. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leonslater77

Hello world! A bit of history on the job first. Existing boiler Gloworm 24HXI 8 yrs old never serviced. Customer has been having problems for 3 years with heating, not getting hot, boiler banging etc. Anyway HXI heat exchanger has had it, (seen a few of these now waterways cant handle much) No heating for a few weeks. I have replaced the boiler with a Veissmann 100W 27KW heat only open vent boiler. 13 rads throughout 5 bed house, 28mm primaries to cylinder and heating system. I cut out the air separator, installed new 15/60 grundfos pump. System now much improved but the boiler modulates as if there is a restriction in the pipework, thus rads don't get to that red hot to touch stage. I cut the primary flow and return pipes and blew down and there seemed to be no restriction or real resistance. Connected my powerflushing machine to Flow and return to boiler, filled and fired up. Boiler runs like a dream up to 80 degrees so boiler all working perfectly. The only thing ive noticed when cutting into some sections of the flow in the airing cupboard is that the 28mm pipework is lined with hardened sludge. Its not completely restricted by any means but could the hardened sludge and the roughness of it cause enough resistance though the pipework to cause the flow through the boiler to slow down. Any thoughts are welcome as I am second guessing myself. After 15 years plumbing there's always something that stumps you. Oh and I have arranged for Pflush to do a full powerflush of the system in 2 weeks, its expensive but the rads are about 30 years old and due to that hardened sludge this has to be done. Plus I've told the customer I wont leave their system until its working perfectly. Cheers People!

28mm pipes and old rads = larger water content, maybe that has something to do with that not red hot to touch

Sounds like it's been boiled dry! Had a few bbu with similar issue. Struggle to remove sludge tbh. Few bottles of x400 and descaler in first to soften her up.

Would check bypass and cylinders not wide open!

No auto bypass, manual gate valve which is fully closed for testing purposes. Boiler modulates and won't reach full temp with hot water only, heating only, or both.

If the boilers working with powerflush pump attached (where in system?) it would suggest the grundfos may not be man enough. Is the return still a lot cooler by the boiler when it clicks off on stat or is it red hot which would suggest its finding an alternative route back to boiler? Not a bathroom rad on the hot water primaries that's making an easy path back to return?

Surely this is an s plan system, if its a 28mm y plan i would change it to s plan and dont forget the auto bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New boiler modulating. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock