Discuss Narrowly missed a sore head today! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Was fixing a light in the kitchen the plasterer I've started using has done the ceiling in. He's fixed timbers to lower the ceiling, plasterboarded it then 2 coats of skim. Came in this morning and the clue should have been a little crack all the way across. Half way through fixing the light to the ceiling and I heard a creaking and saw the ceiling start to drop. Just got out of the way before 2 boards worth and the plaster all came crashing down!

Now I have to wait for him to fix the ceiling again before I can 2nd fix electrics and get paid. Gutted!

Close call... Lucky the custards were not in there at the time!!

Your plasterer sounds like a real gem!

It was obvious once the ceiling had fallen down. He had 3 bits of timber, the first 2 spaced 500mm or so apart, the spacing between the last 2 was around a metre apart..

Held the weight of plasterboard fine, but not the weight of 2 coats of plaster skim on top..

I am a little bit unimpressed to say the least but not as unimpressed as he is going to be having to redo all the work tomorrow I guess.

The rest of his work is pretty good but 1 metre between studwork is a bit stupid in my opinion. I don't know how he expected it to be held up. It was just fixed with normal plasterboard screws into the timber. The screws didn't fail, they stayed in the timber. There just weren't enough screws holding it up so the plasterboard just tore free.

0.jpg

by he is normally a good plasterer, you mean it hasnt failed like that before!! Doesnt make him good if he ever produces spacing of one metre!!!!!

What a plank! When things like that happen it really makes you wonder what other corners have been cut to save money or time?!

The good thing is that other than fixing a light back up at a later date it's not my problem. This is why I learnt a long time ago to get subcontractors in working directly for the customer. Then this isn't my stress or issue.

At the moment he is so far behind his schedule that I am 2nd fixing electrics on walls that haven't been plastered yet. Not grand but his problem to sort out for running behind. He is going to have a long day tomorrow as well when I tell him he has 8 walls to sort out for Friday so we can hang all the radiators in time to finish our work for Friday.

Customer is moving in on 10th as that's the date we had all agreed. The plasterer was supposed to have the place all decorated by then as well.

Never subcontract other firms in I say!

Should have worn your hard hat :tounge_smile:

Ironically my apprentice's tutor from college is coming over to the site tomorrow to assess health and safety lol. Imaging if it had come down tomorrow when he was over!

Doesn't bear thinking about if it had come down on top of a customer though.

I think the plasterer will be quite embarrassed tomorrow.

That is a bloody great idea. I seriously can't be arsed with the college health and safety tutor guy the way I am feeling tomorrow. If he wants to help me wire in lots of sockets then he can chat to me while he cracks the **** on. If not then he can sod off.

Today a guy came over to quote for windows for my customer and he made the fatal error of thinking I was interested in what he had to say while I was leaning on my back under a kitchen cabinet trying to wire in a light.

He did get short thrift but I was a right moody sod today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Narrowly missed a sore head today! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back