Discuss my first job...a three port valve... any ideas?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spanners1967

i'm a level three student and this morning went to look at my first heating related job ouside of work .. the thermostat is calling, the programmer is calling but am only getting heat on the water side... when i manually operate the lever i can feel the heating pipe get very hot quickly... Would you replace the whole valve (which is what i advised the customer) ? or just the head ? (it might be that the spring has come off but i didn't think to check that at the time....

any replies would be very welcome....

check for live from r'stat. synchron motor cheapest option to change

much appreciated... was going to go for honeywell as my boss swears by them...

Welcome to the forum spanner1967...

It is most likely the synchrone motor but it pays to check that you are getting a supply to the valve from the room stat ... IMO

If you havn't already ( and other members will verify this) invest in a multimeter. A must have piece of equipment.

top tip when changing a valve cut the cable just outside the junction box pull it through in to box and pull of any outer thats left thread the new one in and then change one wire at a time its still possible to get muddled as to which one youve just removed so before you start get a good pic of it on your phone
also before you thread it in cut the outer back to give some length inside the box they are to short as supplied
if you go down the changing the motor route its easy to drop and loose the screws if theres lots of holes in bottom of airing cupboard spread a dust sheet or towel undervalve to catch any screws you drop

Last edited:
thanks again for all the effort taken to reply... much appreciated... great forum... will invest in a multimeter ... and will also follow steves advice re cable.. will take some good pics and cut the wires out of the box :)

If u replace the head only just make sure the spindle on the body is moving freely. Replace valve head if and only if the fluke points towards it. Or u could change the synchron only. Up to u

of course the head has to be removable in the first place. no good trying to remove it if it cannot come off.

If you haven't got them already, get yourself a pack of each of the Holdtite plumbers washer kit boxes (there are 5 kits in total, you can get them all from Toolstation). If you come across a motorised valve body which is leaking, you will find the correct replacement O ring in one of the Holdtite O ring kits (I think it's the Red box (either kit 1 or kit 5) off the top pf my head without looking).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to my first job...a three port valve... any ideas?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back