Currently reading:
Moving radiators, draining and refilling the system to carry out soldering etc

Discuss Moving radiators, draining and refilling the system to carry out soldering etc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve6710

hi all, new to plumbing , just doing a small job for a relative.
she has 2 old style rads to fit and the width is different to existing pipework.
i plan on solder jointing new pipework to suit but dont have much of an idea on draing the system to cut and solder new pipes into place.
the radiators are both upstairs and on a combi boiler located down stairs.

-how much draining do i need to do and on what point in the system do i drain it from

-do i need to flush the system and how is it refilled (valve on boiler pipework?)

any info appreciated thanks steve..........

Your prob better using speedfit if u don't know how to solder yorkie fittings.Or get someone to show u, it's difficult to explain in word without visual aid, plus your lack of experience doesn't help either even if I took the time to type it all out.

tool skills are not too bad i am a plasterer at heart and have had a varied life among the trades, just steered clear of plumbing till now.
the issue of water in the pipes affecting the joints, do i just drain until pipes i am working on are free of water, then adjust pipework ,attach rads, refill system on the loop at boiler and check for leaks at new joints? rust inhibitor needed putting a couple of old rads on the system?

Drain sys below the level that you'll be working, in your case it sounds like you'll have to drain the lot. Do your new pipework. Refill slowly and check joints, it might be worthwhile if someone else filled it up whilst u check the new pipework. That way If it leaks u won't have so much to drain for the remedial work.

always a good idea to keep inhibitor in system. i would put it in the radiator directly before refilling the system

hi all, new to plumbing , just doing a small job for a relative.
she has 2 old style rads to fit and the width is different to existing pipework.
i plan on solder jointing new pipework to suit but dont have much of an idea on draing the system to cut and solder new pipes into place.
the radiators are both upstairs and on a combi boiler located down stairs.

-how much draining do i need to do and on what point in the system do i drain it from

-do i need to flush the system and how is it refilled (valve on boiler pipework?)

any info appreciated thanks steve..........
hi there steve to be hounest if you dont know how to fill boiler up ect then the whole job will be new with lots of little challenges just reaD UP CHEAK VIDS ECT before starting as it could turn out to be a nightmare that will cost you more in the long run but if you still not put off then by all means its simple enuff
*turn off boiler drain down system look for a drain off if not then acces best way to drain (hose on pipe with connection to rad homemade maybe) could end up being only way.
*start draining open up upstairs rad bleed help let air in and water out once upstairs done same downstairs.
*once draind cheak that pipe youre working on has definitly got no water in.
*do work necessery to fit new rads.
*close all vales bleeds ect opened get sum1 to help you fill boiler pressure back up keeping at 1.5ish for now and go round bleeding rads closest to boiler first then second ect untill all done.
**keep cheak on new work whilst doing the above.
*cheack mi for ideal pressure for your boiler normaly around 1.2ish then fire up boiler let run shut back down re bleed all done

**ONCE YOU KNOW YOU AINT GOT A LEAK DRAIN BACK DOWN 1 RAD AND ADD INHIBITOR
ALSO JUST RE READ IF BOTH RADS UPSTAIRS FORGET THE BIT BOUT DRAINING DOWNSTAIRS AS IT ISNT NEEDED
realy hope this gives you the insite onto wether you willl do job or not and if you do hope it helps you out :)

thanks for the replies everyone and thanks again jaybob for the run through of what to do. i will check out some vids on youtube.
i am doing the job early february so should have plenty of time to swat up and get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving radiators, draining and refilling the system to carry out soldering etc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock