Search the forum,

Discuss Making a hose for clearing airlock from radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I got some useful hints with my first post last year so I’ll have another go.

It seems I have an airlock so I'm looking to have a go at the method shown in this video from plumberparts: I’m just trying to imitate his hose on the budget. I can see he's got the hose clipped onto a metal fitting, but I can't see what fitting it is. I’ve come up with the following:

1. Use the basic garden hose I already have Verve Freestanding Hose pipe set (L)10 m | DIY at B&Q

2. Reduce down to ½” using the blue bit of a hose connector Plastic Tap Connector

3. Use a hexagon nipple to plug into the radiator Brass Hexagon Nipple

Questions:

A. Can you guys see any issues with my proposed setup?

B. Will PTFE tape be enough to seal the connections or do I need something more than that considering I'm screwing a brass nipple into a plastic connector?

C. My cheap hose is quite thin, could this cause problems other than a longer time to clear the airlock?

D. The rad is upstairs at the front of the house, is there a reason why I shouldn’t run the hose to the bath rather than onto the front garden?

just connect the hose from outside tap to lowest drain off
then turn on gently, check for leaks and go round bleed all rads lowest to highest/furthest, run pump on off . switch iff close drain off. done.
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rob. That sounds like a different method to what James does in that video, and I have to admit I don't follow fully what you're saying. I don't suppose you're aware of a youtube video or website with some more detailed instructions for clearing an airlock your way? The plumberparts video is very popular but that could be because he's a good showman. How much worse is his method compared with yours?

Thanks Rob. That sounds like a different method to what James does in that video, and I have to admit I don't follow fully what you're saying. I don't suppose you're aware of a youtube video or website with some more detailed instructions for clearing an airlock your way? The plumberparts video is very popular but that could be because he's a good showman. How much worse is his method compared with yours?

The method in the video is the safer and less likely to go wrong flushing to remove airlock method, especially for a diy person like yourself. It is using the system pressure.
You could just do same thing by removing a radiator that won’t heat and run each valve into a hose for a few seconds. (Might be only possibility if rad does not have 1/2” vents like in video).

Robs method is more for Professionals doing it using mains pressure and is risky if you don’t know what you are doing. You could risk over pressuring a system and doing damage or flooding.

Personally I would advise just running your heating system and turning all other rads and flow to cylinder (if you have a cylinder) for a few minutes to see if the rad heats. Normally this works

Thanks Best, just to double check, did you mean turning all other rads OFF?

Yes, all other rads and cylinder turn off.
Then just try running heating for a few minutes. Not the hose method!
I also try turning pump speed up, - say from speed 2 - 3 setting if old type pump, but again - JUST for a couple minutes to see if airlock clears.
Basically what I am saying is the pump will circulate the system water around the easy circuit and won’t push against the airlock unless the only loop possible is through that rad.
The obvious and the easiest solutions are best attempted first

Just be aware that sometimes it isn’t an airlock, but a blocked pipe.
I am assuming just like advice from the video that all other obvious possibilities were checked first like seized TRV, or balancing etc.

Seized TRV it was. I had considered it before posting this thread originally, but missed it on first inspection. I took the head off this radiator (bedroom), the pin wouldn't go any further in but I didn't know how much force was needed. After Best's latest post I also took the head off the bathroom TRV which is the same sort and works fine. The pin protruded by a very similar amount to the bedroom, I tried pressing it down, it went in a milimiter and got stuck there. Upstairs was now noticeably cold, so I did some more research and found more sources saying it's not really all that risky pinching the pin with pliers and pulling, so I did that on both TRVs and both rads were beginning to heat up in seconds. Thank you both for your responses once again.

Reply to Making a hose for clearing airlock from radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock