Search the forum,

Discuss Leaving old stopcock in place in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

My main stopcock is passing slightly when closed and difficult to operate so I intend to replace it. It is very close to the concrete floor making it very difficult to make a good joint if I cut it off. I was thinking of putting a new valve above the existing one and just leaving the original in place and fully open. The gland is not passing on the old one and Ihave access to the WB vave in the street. As ever any advice welcome

My main stopcock is passing slightly when closed and difficult to operate so I intend to replace it. It is very close to the concrete floor making it very difficult to make a good joint if I cut it off. I was thinking of putting a new valve above the existing one and just leaving the original in place and fully open. The gland is not passing on the old one and Ihave access to the WB vave in the street. As ever any advice welcome
I like peace of mind, turn off outside and fit new. The leaking one will not get better and leak anyway when you turn off the new stop tap. Centralheatking

I like peace of mind, turn off outside and fit new. The leaking one will not get better and leak anyway when you turn off the new stop tap. Centralheatking
Thanks for the reply.
My issue is the old valve is close to the floor and there is not enough pipe to make a new joint easily. Hence my question about putting a new on in line. When the new vave is in the old one will be obselete so it can pass all it wants as long as it doesnt leak

It's letting by, not leaking CHK. In my opinion he's fine to cut in another valve downstream and leave the old stopcock fully open and then leave it well alone.

Reply to Leaving old stopcock in place in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock