Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Leak sealer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bright spark

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just putting a shout out to all d lads to see why d best leak sealer there is out there on the market. Must be suitable for underfloor heating pipe work.
I have a call out, might drop a bar over a week. Checked it out. No obvious leak on boiler, safety valve dripping, auto air vents, dodgy expansion vessel. All visible pipe work, heat exchanger leak etc.
Gonna pressure test the under floor zone by zone.
Any thought appreciated

Last edited:
I can't think of its name but it's blood red
Oxy somthing
Ask croppie he might know it's name Bassetts do it

Plumb7

Yea, Oxypic I think it sounds like. Bassetts stock it I think is correct.
It is a bit like red stag jointing in looks. You have to get system very hot and then put I'd directly into the system, preferably as close to leak as possible. It does a hard seal where it hits the oxygen, - hence the name.
It is both an inhibitor and a sealant

Last edited:
Yea, Oxypic I think it sounds like. Bassetts stock it I think is correct.
It is a bit like red stag jointing in looks. You have to get system very hot and then put I'd directly into the system, preferably as close to leak as possible. It does a hard seal where it hits the oxygen, - hence the name.
It is both an inhibitor and a sealant

That's the one mate great stuff
I've used it on a couple of pressurised systems that wear dropping like lead balloons and sealed no problem

That's the one mate great stuff
I've used it on a couple of pressurised systems that wear dropping like lead balloons and sealed no problem

First time I used it was on an outside Warmflow oil boiler at a rented house. Boiler was flooding water from it, - must have been a crack in weld. I pulled stat out and got the Oxypic directly above that side of boiler. It was a sealed system and sealed instantly.
But I tried it on another boiler and it never worked

Have you used it? I haven't read about it yet. Guess it is a soft seal?

Used it once at a pinch worked ok someone from here recommended it

Used it once at a pinch worked ok someone from here recommended it

Good to know. Handy for an emergency, - like for some elderly person in mid winter with a leaking boiler that can't be just replaced quickly.
I had years ago tried Fernox leak sealer, but found it never sorted a bad leak.

Good to know. Handy for an emergency, - like for some elderly person in mid winter with a leaking boiler that can't be just replaced quickly.
I had years ago tried Fernox leak sealer, but found it never sorted a bad leak.

Tbh I try and not use the stuff will only use it on old boilers until there replaced, never on Pipework as I see it as a temp fix but that's just me

Tbh I try and not use the stuff will only use it on old boilers until there replaced, never on Pipework as I see it as a temp fix but that's just me

I never like the idea of repairing leaking pipes with it, but on a leaking boiler which can be seen to be leaking, then I don't mind if it is an emergency in winter, or owner just can't afford anything else.
Leak sealer in leaking hidden pipes is just covering up a problem that might eventually begin again.
But if customer wants it, who cares?
I think some plumbers use leak sealer on their new work to seal any of their bad joints, which is shameful IMO.

I never like the idea of repairing leaking pipes with it, but on a leaking boiler which can be seen to be leaking, then I don't mind if it is an emergency in winter, or owner just can't afford anything else.
Leak sealer in leaking hidden pipes is just covering up a problem that might eventually begin again.
But if customer wants it, who cares?
I think some plumbers use leak sealer on their new work to seal any of their bad joints, which is shameful IMO.

Always laugh to myself when the swap guys go into store every boiler is sold with like 2-3 bottles of the stuff

Always laugh to myself when the swap guys go into store every boiler is sold with like 2-3 bottles of the stuff

Im actualy concidering doing it myself. I went out to two low pressure boilers yesterday that i had put in. No sign of leaks anywhere. Just a pain in the aris!

When I worked on housing association I used sentinel quite a bit. Not my choice but 9-10 times it worked.

I've used it once since being self employed and have not been called back since. I have the person the choice of chucking leak sealer in and if that didn't work repipe downstairs (underground pipe work) or just go ahead and repipe it. I did say I don't like using the stuff as it will knacker up any auto air vents etc but he had a ravenheap anyway so it would probably help the boiler lol.

It only works on small leaks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leak sealer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
I have a pressure leak on my CH system. Our piping is buried in the walls (maybe a mistake) and the room-to-room pipes are now covered by flooring...
Replies
Views
Dear professionals, could someone kindly advise on per below issue, please let me know if more pictures or details needed. I think my Auto Air...
Replies
Views
Hi all not a plumber but am an engineer I have pressure drop in the system Worcester Bosch came back after repressureising the expansion vessel...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock