Search the forum,

Discuss landlords legionella in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokecity

Gas Engineer
hi guys,

ive been to a landords property to day which has had a legionella test, I spoke to the guy on the phone as he has told landlord that it is a legal requirement and she will be in a world of trouble if she doesn't :-

- re pipe the hot water expansion pipe to outside or into F+E tank ? ( the small amount of limescale around the end is a sure sign of legionella )

bare in mind the test results take 2 weeks

anyone come across this?

he also said the hot water cylinder needed changing as immersion was at top not bottom haha muppet

hi guys,

ive been to a landords property to day which has had a legionella test, I spoke to the guy on the phone as he has told landlord that it is a legal requirement and she will be in a world of trouble if she doesn't :-

- re pipe the hot water expansion pipe to outside or into F+E tank ? ( the small amount of limescale around the end is a sure sign of legionella )

bare in mind the test results take 2 weeks

anyone come across this?

he also said the hot water cylinder needed changing as immersion was at top not bottom haha muppet

Download the ACOP L8, it might say in there, but I remember something about the reason for the expansion tank was to allow the water to cool before allowing it to discharge to outside via the overflow (so it doesn't scald people below). This was on a large residential block of flats. Limescale is not an indication of legionella as far as I'm aware.

Sounds like a croc'o :nono: to me. Who requested the test or has a tennant come down with Legionella? What type of heating system is the cylinder on?
What is the hot water expansion pipe over at the moment. The only logic I can apply from your info assumes that hot water expansion is over cwst and that he has taken scale on the expansion pipe to indicate the hot watwr cylinder is kettling in to the cwst which could leave it at a temperature where Legionella could develop. But that would indicate to me that a cylinder stat or stats are not working and have not failed safe. I cant see the relevance of the orientation of the immersion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea limescale is indicative of hard water end off. One of our investers
has over 300 properties and is right up there with elf and safety
he said last night that there is no requirement except in public
buildings CHK

Is there a mixer shower at the property? lets be honest here Legionella AFAIK needs to be atomized into droplet/mist form to be inhaled into the lungs to start infection.
If they had a cooling tower in the back room then i might be a bit more concerned :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that the landlord has a responsibility for the prevention and control of legionella isn't a crock.

What your boy has recommended certainly is.

As long as the cwst is piped correctly giving a cross flow so there's no stagnancy and the hwc temperature is set correctly then there shouldn't be an issue.

You rarely ever see dead legs on a domestic system the way you would on a commercial one.

Guys. I am a legionella consultant. There are a few points that need sorting here.

1) There is no legal requirement to have a Legionella test done
2) Scale build up will harbour and feed the Legionella bacteria
3) The "aerosols" we are talking about here are invisible and can't be seen but are there
4) There is a legal requirement to carry out a Legionella risk assessment in ANY building other than privately owned domestic properties (so landlords do need to assess their portfolio's)
5) The new Legionella guidance now refers to landlord responsibilities on page 88 of the HSG 274 part 2 which can be found on the HSE website

Thank you Smunt.

Hang around with us old son, I think you could be a useful addition to our wee family.

+1 to that croppie.
Excellent first post Smunt, how long you been in that field of work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to landlords legionella in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock