Search the forum,

Discuss .......Lagging....... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

ShaunCorbs

Super Moderator
Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Solutions
does anyone else find it satisfying and some enjoyment

yes i know its not 100% but its hard macthing up 28-22-15

B0B6DEC9-4C5F-41CE-B04E-02FD76ECD376.jpeg

If thatā€™s your install, Iā€™m very very impressed with the quality of your work.
Insulation is a very time consuming job, but is the cherry on top when done well.

Love the tundish....... I mean hopper:D

Yep my install

Got the scares off that drain off to prove it why gledhill did you install the cold inlet 1/3 the way up the cylinder feel sorry for the next guy whose got to remove it with 100l ish left

If thatā€™s your install, Iā€™m very very impressed with the quality of your work.
Insulation is a very time consuming job, but is the cherry on top when done well.

Love the tundish... I mean hopper:D

Was cheap think around the Ā£5 mark makes it easier to terminate donā€™t just stuff them in a piece of 11/4

Not having that you paid that price for it?

For the lagger I paid slightly more as was one of the first ones to get it

Donā€™t buy the pro kit eg the saw itā€™s crud canā€™t get on with it too wide

yea i use the pipe lagger pro mitre block along with a very large stanley/craft knife , cuts the lagging clean and straight with ease , i do my tees slightly different to you , i use a scrap peice of copper and use that to create a perfect hole by twisting it through the lagging then just do a small slice from that hole to the center line slit , then the next piece just cut a curve that matchs the lagging O.D on the end , looks perfect every time,

yea i use the pipe lagger pro mitre block along with a very large stanley/craft knife , cuts the lagging clean and straight with ease , i do my tees slightly different to you , i use a scrap peice of copper and use that to create a perfect hole by twisting it through the lagging then just do a small slice from that hole to the center line slit , then the next piece just cut a curve that matchs the lagging O.D on the end , looks perfect every time,

Did think of that but couldnā€™t be bothered to try and find a hole saw the same dia of the lagging

Any pics ?

It may well have a dip tube which extends almost to the bottom of the cylinder so should still syphon almost to empty.

So why didnā€™t they install it at the bottom if itā€™s got a dip tube seems backwards

The only reason I can think is any crap / limescale drops to the bottom and is left / kept there

No different to soldered elbows you can either run the insulation round due to the swept or use a 3 mitre bend

No different to soldered elbows you can either run the insulation round due to the swept or use a 3 mitre bend
Sorry i dont understand. My problem is that the press fittings are larger than soldered (but not as big as compression). The makes every joingfatter/wider and the insulation doesnt sit neatly. Any tips?

does anyone else find it satisfying and some enjoyment

yes i know its not 100% but its hard macthing up 28-22-15

View attachment 38545

Hello Shaun,

Very nice pipework and insulation.

As You know it is vital when installing Pipework that is going to be correctly insulated that the pipework is specifically installed to accommodate the insulation re. the separation and clipping of the pipes.

Even though insulating most exposed Heating and Hot Water pipework is mandatory many Heating Installers and Plumbers seem to not have the `method of working` where their pipework is installed to be able to receive correctly fitted insulation.

I have seen countless Heating and Plumbing pipework installations where that has not been done making insulating correctly impossible without removing the pipework and installing it again.

I have also seen many jobs where the pipework was installed very `neatly` and would have been a good job if it did not have to be insulated - BUT after pipe insulation had been applied as well as possible without the necessary clearances the pipework looked terrible.

I used to pride myself that I could insulate pipework almost as well regarding the workmanship as a `professional pipe insulation fitter` although nothing like as quickly - having installed the pipework to suit it being insulated.

However I am now not physically able to install Heating systems / major Plumbing systems / Hot Water Cylinders etc. - or even insulating pipework installed by others - so I will not have any photos to post on here.

When most of the professionals that I have seen work with `Foam Pipe Insulation` / Armaflex they use a couple of different length razor sharp knives and I have seen some who could cut mitres / birds mouths perfectly without using a Mitre box or Pipe Insulation joint cutting tool.

Obviously if someone is doing nothing but insulating pipework etc. every working day they would become an expert at such things as `freehand mitre cutting`.

In the mid 1970`s I was working as a Plumbing Foreman on a large New Build Housing site - 100 Houses & Flats being built as Council Housing where the Local Authority Heating & Plumbing Inspector was known to be a `nightmare` for both his really strict periodic Inspections / workmanship critic and his final completion snagging especially on the Pipework / Hot Water Cylinder Insulation.

Because of the contract specification that all exposed / roof space Heating and Plumbing pipework was to be correctly insulated in Armaflex [glued] - and that all Hot Water Cylinders had to be wrapped in sheet Armaflex the Company that I was working for engaged a Mechanical Services Insulation Contractor.

Seeing those operatives insulating the pipework at a very fast rate and with excellent workmanship including wrapping installed Hot Water Cylinders in Armaflex sheet in quite tight cupboards was nothing short of amazing.

To answer your question - I used to enjoy insulating pipework and found it really satisfying to make such a good job of it that it actually did insulate correctly and would often produce compliments from other Tradesmen.

As an aside - since participating on this Forum and seeing many photos from members I regret hardly ever taking photos of my own workmanship throughout my working life.

I have carried out Heating, Plumbing, Gas work and Leadwork on some very large / expensive properties in very expensive areas of London such as Kensington, Knightsbridge, Chelsea, Belgravia, Hampstead, St. Johns Wood and I have always been proud of the pipework etc. that I have installed - but for a lot of my working life it would not have even occurred to most Tradesmen to photograph their work and there were no Mobile phones with Cameras being carried every day - nor inexpensive Digital Cameras available.

If photos or video evidence were required regarding a dispute of some kind a Camera or a quite large Video Camera would be brought to the site but photographing works as a regular thing to do was not done in my experience.

At the end of my working life in terms of being physically unable to install entire Heating and Plumbing systems or even do the preparation works [large amounts of floorboards up etc.] it would have been nice to have had a `portfolio` of photos of some of my work through the decades to look back on.

Chris

Last edited:
Sorry i dont understand. My problem is that the press fittings are larger than soldered (but not as big as compression). The makes every joingfatter/wider and the insulation doesnt sit neatly. Any tips?

Any pics ? As I donā€™t have that problem

Iā€™ve used 9 and 19mm with press and itā€™s fine as far as I can tell

Reply to .......Lagging....... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Toilet is leaking into the bowl. This one pushes in with a half turn but I can't find one anywhere.
Replies
Views
Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and Iā€™m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock