Currently reading:
Just a bit of Help for a Newbie !

Discuss Just a bit of Help for a Newbie ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey All, Just wondering if anyone can help. I've been working as a plumber for the last four years .....general wet plumbing, servicing, installations etc. Have got my C&G plumbing quals and have just recently completed a 20 week, BPEC gas foundation and have recently passed my gas assessment CCN1, CEN/WAT, CKR1, HTR1 and CPA1. I didn't pass first time round but done really well at the second attempt and used first attempt as dress rehearsal. I'm planning to do a couple of supplementary courses in addition to my gas stuff such as a boiler fault finding course or a couple of the manufacturer courses. Heard some good stuff about the Vokera boiler course which is very in-depth and is quite generic in terms of other manufacturers. Anyway, despite this I haven't got much in the way of gas experience and even now stray away from doing any gas work as I've not registered yet, in fact I don't even advertise my gas quals. I would probably benefit from knocking around with someone experienced for the time being to pick things up with regards to gaining more hands on / field experience. Although, the gas course was very detailed and excellently delivered I know that the idea of the course is just to make new entrants / operatives 'Gas safety aware' and competent in order to work safely within all aspects of gas work. Can anyone advise me of the best plan of attack of addressing this problem and getting this experience ? I've done what most people do which is politely contact engineers and small firms ....even the local authority contractors which look after my estate but no joy. I've not bothered to contact the larger contractors or utilities companies as they are really only interested in people that can hit the ground running......which is definitely not me ! I'm a good reliable work, great attitude, don't see myself as anything special and would appreciate any advice or help. Thanks in advance for any positive replies !

Try going to a trade show, meet the Reps. Tell them you're starting out & interested in getting to know & understand their brand, installing & servicing. They often have an allowance of free places on training courses.
Decide on maybe 2 brands for your installs & get to know them, rather than buying the cheapest boiler at the merchants.This way you'll understand their boiler sequences & build up confidence.
But do go on as many manufactures courses as possible.
If you can pair up with someone local & share the jobs when 1st installing boilers /systems you'll both learn off each other.
Servicing is the easy bit, repairing boilers is an ongoing process, you don't stop learning.
Always ask if you need help, collect as many technical helpline numbers.
Hope it works out for you.

Try going to a trade show, meet the Reps. Tell them you're starting out & interested in getting to know & understand their brand, installing & servicing. They often have an allowance of free places on training courses. Decide on maybe 2 brands for your installs & get to know them, rather than buying the cheapest boiler at the merchants.This way you'll understand their boiler sequences & build up confidence. But do go on as many manufactures courses as possible. If you can pair up with someone local & share the jobs when 1st installing boilers /systems you'll both learn off each other. Servicing is the easy bit, repairing boilers is an ongoing process, you don't stop learning. Always ask if you need help, collect as many technical helpline numbers. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks very much for your advice and help and I'll definitely take it on board. I as with any industry it's all about constant learning and locating the most viable sources for that learning. With regards to installations, I would much prefer to install a renowned, reliable and reputable branded appliance even if it's technically more challenging to service or repair as like you suggest....familiarity breeds confidence and confidence brings results. Unless the client are absolutely tied by budget constraints and insists on something cheaper. However would try to advise them accordingly. Again, thanks for the help !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Just a bit of Help for a Newbie ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock