Search the forum,

Discuss Questionable gas cooker installation. Advice needed. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

Big gas noob here. We got a gas cooker installed a few days ago, and the gas cooker is now sitting quite far away from the wall (3cm which sounds like not much but throws the balance off of the kitchen), which means there's a large gap now between the cooker and the wall, but it now also pokes out from the worktops and cupboards in a pretty unsatisfactory way. I assume that the installer was just lazy and put the new tap (not sure if that's what its called) right where the pipe was, pushed the cooker back and then walked away, but maybe I'm wrong. I've attached a photo and in my mind, why wouldn't you just move the tap to the right as I've highlighted in the photo.

The company says thats the safest spot for the tap, but their reasoning was weak to be honest, because of course they don't want to spend any money sending someone back out. I'm also, no expert, but I had another tradie look at it (electrician) who thought it would be fine to move, but obviously getting an unbiased, expert opinion is what counts. I've tried to contact a few other people without any success so I thought I'd try in here, if you good people don't mind.

Cheers for any help!

Attachments

• PXL_20230428_140316334~2.jpeg
    PXL_20230428_140316334~2.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 28
Not sure what to tell you really. The clearances you’re working with are very tight if you’re trying to gain 30mm.

My thoughts might change if I was on site.

Even if the gas pipe was completely removed, due to the plug socket, I don’t think you’ll get 30mm.

Is the gas connection was tucked all the way right, I also do not think you’ll gain much because of the bottom loop of the gas hose. The hose radius is likely larger than the cooker recess.

Saying that, if I was on site, and this is what I found, I’d have a conversation with you to set expectations. If you wanted the front flush with the units, I’d make it work, but likely at an increase in cost.

The back edge of the right hand unit may need to be cut to allow hose and gas connection to be sited behind right cupboard.

Plug socket may have to be move.

Not sure what to tell you really. The clearances you’re working with are very tight if you’re trying to gain 30mm.

My thoughts might change if I was on site.

Even if the gas pipe was completely removed, due to the plug socket, I don’t think you’ll get 30mm.

Is the gas connection was tucked all the way right, I also do not think you’ll gain much because of the bottom loop of the gas hose. The hose radius is likely larger than the cooker recess.

Saying that, if I was on site, and this is what I found, I’d have a conversation with you to set expectations. If you wanted the front flush with the units, I’d make it work, but likely at an increase in cost.

The back edge of the right hand unit may need to be cut to allow hose and gas connection to be sited behind right cupboard.

Plug socket may have to be move.
Cheers Timmy. Yeah I mean, I know that it wouldn't be exactly flush and I don't think that's exactly my expectation, but as you said at least take me through what my options are. This is my first time having this kind of work done, so I just expected that the installer would make it so the cooker could be as close to the wall as possible, but apparently not. Thanks for the advice mate, super appreciated.

Cheers Timmy. Yeah I mean, I know that it wouldn't be exactly flush and I don't think that's exactly my expectation, but as you said at least take me through what my options are. This is my first time having this kind of work done, so I just expected that the installer would make it so the cooker could be as close to the wall as possible, but apparently not. Thanks for the advice mate, super appreciated.
I get your frustration.

I price work so that I can get a finish that I’d be happy with in my own house. Unfortunately, there are people that feel that need to be the cheapest to get work. Perhaps that says something about their quality.

Agree with Timmy either in the unit or lengthen the copper pipe to put the connection into the left hand cavity / recess they never make the back of cookers simple for routing pipes etc

Also did he install / fix the eye for the safety chain ?

Agree with Timmy either in the unit or lengthen the copper pipe to put the connection into the left hand cavity / recess they never make the back of cookers simple for routing pipes etc

Also did he install / fix the eye for the safety chain ?
Cheers for the reply mate. Yeah it definitely sounds like there's options that the installer didn't even bother with, which is pretty disappointing.

He did install the chain yeah, I just removed it so I could move the cooker out and have a good look at what was going on.

What did you have before? Is that a new hose or existing?
I think it's a new hose yeah. I'm not exactly sure what was there before, it was the same size cooker etc, but no idea what it looked like behind it because I didn't look. I've never done anything like this so I just assumed the installer would try to make it as flush as they could. Apparently not. My mistake for not being on his case.

It would cost quite a bit to move the connection against that singed unit but could also cut a slot down rear of that cabinet for the hose to fall in. So it is doable. Then get the sparky back to replace the power socket with a cable outlet.

Reply to Questionable gas cooker installation. Advice needed. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help with a query. We have recently had a new kitchen installed and are arranging for our freestanding gas cooker to be fitted (Leisure Gourmet Cooker 60cm) I have read that there needs to be a 20mm gap between the sides of the cooker to meet the Gas Safe...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all. I recently upgraded our CH system, but rather than the expected drop in gas consumption, Octopus is saying we're using roughly 30% more! The installer has said they can downrate the boiler, but to my mind that addresses maximum consumption, not any inefficiencies there may be relating...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced me to run some pipes outside the walls, so I put in stopcocks at the point where the new pipework joins the old Just In Case. I used copper pipe and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock