Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for gas mentor to take me on? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone
My name is Daniel and I've recently completed my ACS gas engineer class room based work. I need to complete my portfolio. so is there any gas engineers out there that are willing to help me complete and give me some experience mentoring me? I'm willing to pay, work free of charge couple days aweek to get my jobs completed and gain experience.
I'm located in the manchester area, willing to travel, hard working and reliable.
I appreciate any feedback help or advice, ring or message.
Thanks for your time Daniel

There's a problem in our industry in that there's nothing stopping newly qualified guys from going self employed and charging the same as an experienced engineer. No matter how usefull you may think you'll be you'd almost certainly be a burden. As soon as your done you'll want to be earning 40k bumbling round on your own rather than earning what your worth and learning to be a good engineer under someone else.
Unfortunately it means that we have a wealth of poorly experienced 'engineers' and no incentive for you to payback the effort we expend in your training.
I can't blame anyone for earning what they can but it also doesn't help you to get the experience you need now.
Honestly I think the best thing to do is to offer to pay a gas engineer for their time.
Maybe if you can make yourself usefull you'll get more help going forward.

Sorry for the blunt approach but if it applies to you or not, this is the presumption your up against.

Here's an idea.
Offer to wash an engineers vans every Saturday for a month.
Is there anyone in the Manchester area that wants their van washing for free?
Anyone in the Manchester area that needs a hole digging, some slabs moving... a fence painting?

There's a problem in our industry in that there's nothing stopping newly qualified guys from going self employed and charging the same as an experienced engineer. No matter how usefull you may think you'll be you'd almost certainly be a burden. As soon as your done you'll want to be earning 40k bumbling round on your own rather than earning what your worth and learning to be a good engineer under someone else.
Unfortunately it means that we have a wealth of poorly experienced 'engineers' and no incentive for you to payback the effort we expend in your training.
I can't blame anyone for earning what they can but it also doesn't help you to get the experience you need now.
Honestly I think the best thing to do is to offer to pay a gas engineer for their time.
Maybe if you can make yourself usefull you'll get more help going forward.

Sorry for the blunt approach but if it applies to you or not, this is the presumption your up against.
Hi thanks for your reply, I totally understand what you are saying it is hard but we all have to start somewhere. And so to speak I know I probably will be working around the same area once qualified taking the clientele. I am willing to pay anyone that will help as I know I will be a burden. Lol

Reply to Looking for gas mentor to take me on? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to jobs. I would be happy to observe and support where possible. I am now working towards completing and submitting my portfolio. I understand that this...
Replies
Views
Hi I am a newly qualified gas engineer in Norwich and looking to gain some experience by working alongside someone. I am happy to travel a reasonable distance. Any advice would be gratefully received. thanks
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an update, he like myself was gobsmaked at the level of abuse I got from asking a basic question. Thanks Tom for the DM, I managed to pass in 2019...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock