Search the forum,

Discuss Is this capped off correctly? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Good afternoon all,

First time posting on this site.

I’m need of some opinions from Gas engineers if possible.

My house is 1930s (I think). I have some very old gas pipes sticking out of random places. Mostly nest to light pendants.

This has made me believe it’s an old gas/heat/lightning system?

This is a council house and I have questioned them months ago on this but they are slow in responding.

I’ve been in the property 6 months and will be updating and doing loads of bits to the place.

What scares me, is the old secondary system still a live system? I can see some pipes hardly flush and obviously in them days we didn’t have prescribed zones (I’m a sparks by trade myself).

Also what scares me is what I found yesterday whist rewiring and flushing in sockets in one of the room.

From what I see near the meter outside is 2 pipes entering my property live and not capped off outside.

In my boy’s bedroom is a cap off but looks scary to me?

What do you guys think ?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpeg
    IMG_0782.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0781.jpeg
    IMG_0781.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0798.jpeg
    IMG_0798.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 26
no it’s not it should be capped with solder cap also the open ended one should be capped as well. It was a lazy way of doing it years ago, but should be done properly now. That one on ceiling have no idea what it is could be old gas lighting supply.

Reply to Is this capped off correctly? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock