Search the forum,

Discuss Is it advisable to fit taps along long side of bath? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ajsoad

hi all. im in the middle of fitting a P shape bath 1700mm and im not sure where to put the tap. The bath is appros 12 -15 mm thick and there is a 80mm ledge on the side of the bath. Is access the only negative thing about fitting taps on the long side against the wall? if it is then ive checked and if i was going to put them there i would be able to reach in them in the future by just removing the end panel. so is it ok to fit them there?

My only concern is access, if you can get at them and there in a convienent place then drill away. Just make sure you can get a good purchase on them with your spanner otherwise you'll never get them off in a few years with all the crud that will build up around them.

Are you sure you can get a spanner round the far pipe and have enough purchase to turn it? Where does the customer want them or is this your own bath?

Keep spare tiles just in case.

this is for my own house. i think id be able to get a box spanner there quite easy. ill have to wait till tomoz to take a pic to show you as ive just put some tiles down. imi going to need to reduce the bath tap to 15mm aswell as its 22mm. i did buy some flexible tap connector 15mm x 3/4" 10mm bore to do this. are these ok to use on a mixer tap? thanx
[h=4][/h]

Don't think, make sure. Better to get it right now than 6 months down the road when the taps are knackered.

I'm presuming you have a combi boiler as the feeds are 15mm, yes flexi alright for these, make sure that you can get to the connectors, I'm a bit of a worrier and I make sure I can get at everything if at all possible...

I would agree with everything secret squirrel has said, make sure your right first! But would add just think about where you are going to be climbing in and out of the bath, or laying in it, that the taps arent going to be in your (or the missus') way and gonna whack your knee or feet on etc.... I know sounds silly but I've had afew customers say to me that they dont like their tap positions when in the middle of a P bath due to hitting themselves on them or it. (none of these were installed by myself though)

Don't use flexys but instead use rigid copper.

Last edited:
yes im going to be running it off a combi boiler. that was another concern i had with putting the taps in the middle of the bath is hitting my leg on it but its not sticking out that much and its not really in the shower area of the bath.
if your advising me on not to use flexi pipes how can i do it as i need to get from 22mm to 15mm. also if i use a copper pipe its going to make it more difficult to get the pipe on the tap as now i cant use a box spanner where as with the flexi pipe id be able to fit it through the box spanner to tighten it up at the tap.

Copper rigid pipes would be better as less restrictive, but you dont need to worry too much about that on a combi, but yes copper better. However with the taps in the position your planning, and with a combi, I would go flexible to aid installation and removal of the taps in the future.

You can buy special fittings that attach the bath taps to a flexi holder. This lets the bath taps be lifted up and removed without the need to crawl under the bath.

You can buy special fittings that attach the bath taps to a flexi holder. This lets the bath taps be lifted up and removed without the need to crawl under the bath.

Sounds interesting mate, got a link to said product anywhere?

Sorry for the delay. They are a ' quick release bath fixing kit'. My local plumbing shop sells them for £50 a pair. I have fitted these many times and have had a couple of times where the customer has changed their mind about the taps. You unscrew at base of holder using hex key, and the taps pop up on the flexis.
Hope this helps?

Sorry for the delay. They are a ' quick release bath fixing kit'. My local plumbing shop sells them for £50 a pair. I have fitted these many times and have had a couple of times where the customer has changed their mind about the taps. You unscrew at base of holder using hex key, and the taps pop up on the flexis.
Hope this helps?

Wow. What a clever piece of engineering

Hope this helps?

Do you know what company makes it?

Sorry not sure. I'll pop in shop tomorrow and find out the details. Will post the details tomorrow evening.

What a clever device right enough.
[DLMURL="http://www.bathshop321.com/bathroom-taps/wastes/quick-release-bath-mixer-tap-fitting-kit/"]Quick Release Bath Mixer Tap Fitting Kit[/DLMURL]
Definitely be giving these a go.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good idea indeed. But what about the deck mixer type taps? they're gonna look a bit of a chuff!

Ok people. The quick release flexi kit comes from a company called Alliance Sanitry Products. (thats what it states on the poster). I get them from a company called Plumb-bay in Sittingbourne, Kent. They also have a shop on Ebay. It really is a great bit of kit and has got me out of some sticky situations on a few occassions.
Hope this helps, if more info is required let us know.

Ok people. The quick release flexi kit comes from a company called Alliance Sanitry Products. (thats what it states on the poster). I get them from a company called Plumb-bay in Sittingbourne, Kent. They also have a shop on Ebay. It really is a great bit of kit and has got me out of some sticky situations on a few occassions.<br>Hope this helps, if more info is required let us know.

I'm going to try this kit out and if it's as good as it looks, I'll recommend to customers wanting their taps fitted way out of reach that I'll only fit them like that if they pay extra for one of these kits.

Cheers for a very useful post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it advisable to fit taps along long side of bath? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock