Search the forum,

Discuss Intermittent heating fault in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction please.

We have an old traditional old Potterton E50 boiler with an old Honeywell time switch and a more recent Salus wireless thermostat.

I have completely powered down and re-set the Honeywell and Salus a couple of times and installed new batteries in the Salus.

Mist of the time everything works fine. The boiler was serviced professionally last November.

Occasionally though, and most often in the afternoon for some reason, the Salus clicks in, we get the green light on the receiver but the boiler doesn’t fire up. At this time of day the water is off.

As soon as we boost the water the boiler fires up and the diverter moves to the middle. If we immediately switch the water off again the boiler stops but if we leave heat and water on for 10 minutes and then switch the water off, the boiler stays on, the diverter moves to H and we have heat.

The diverter seems to be doing everything it should, moving from water to heat to both.

It only happens when the water is switched off, but it’s intermittent. It happens once or twice a day and is getting no better but no worse.

Any suggestions as to the next step in our investigations would be appreciated. It’s going to be hard to demonstrate the fault if we call in a plumber because the chances of replicating the issue are pretty remote.

Thanks all.
View attachment 81464View attachment 81463

Reply to Intermittent heating fault in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock