Currently reading:
Ideal Isar noisy

Discuss Ideal Isar noisy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mountainman

I did a little plumbing job this morning and was chatting to the cust.
She has an Isar under contract with BG (spit), but has an intermittent loud noise from the boiler.
From her description it sounds like the burner is rapidly modulating from high to low then back again, but it didn't do it while I was there.
I'm not involved in any repair work on it but it would be nice to know if any of you guys have come across this problem.

Hate these boilers!...have had similar faults with isar and icos. Try cleaning out sump and condensate trap can cause vibration, also remove fan and burner from the top and pour boiling kettle through to clean heat ex through...should all be done on a service but doubt British gas go that far!

I've heard a lot of Isars make a realy loud banging noise,especially when you throw them in an empty skip!Isars do seem to take forever to make up their minds whether to light or not.Sounds like it could be a thermistor,but even when on site,with the problem happening,it's half gueswork with some boilers!

Just been on a second hand site (preloved classifieds),and found someone selling a second hand Icos.Good luck getting that fitted by a GSR fitter!

Cheers guys, no definitive answer only informed speculation. These boilers are supposed to be better than the old ones, I doubt it.
I feel for the customer 'cos they know nothing and can only see open wallet surgery on the horizon.
It's really not what I was trained for and I feel bloody useless telling the cust that they have been conned and there's nothing I can do to help cheaply.

The ignition probes on the Isar are prone to ;bending' away from the burner over time mountainman! My experience explosive ignition is the main cause of complaints of banging and 9/10 it's the spark electrode! Hope that helps :)

Cheers guys, no definitive answer only informed speculation. These boilers are supposed to be better than the old ones, I doubt it.
I feel for the customer 'cos they know nothing and can only see open wallet surgery on the horizon.
It's really not what I was trained for and I feel bloody useless telling the cust that they have been conned and there's nothing I can do to help cheaply.
They are no better!
Without more info it can be any number of things on these.
Make sure sump clean, remove trap and clean. Check water running free through rest of condi pipework.
Check burner panels, earth pins and electrodes. If in any doubt- change them.

Or maybe it is just air/sludge in system.

I did a little plumbing job this morning and was chatting to the cust.
She has an Isar under contract with BG (spit), but has an intermittent loud noise from the boiler.
From her description it sounds like the burner is rapidly modulating from high to low then back again, but it didn't do it while I was there.
I'm not involved in any repair work on it but it would be nice to know if any of you guys have come across this problem.

had one a few years ago that passed the flue gas analyser 0.0005 cleaned heat exchanger but the boiler would make a strange noise . eventualy found the condensing heatexchanger and turretmore than half blocked with grey cornflake like particals . ideal wiped their hands of it and said the turret should have been removed on service - no mention of this in manual and boiler needs fully draining to do this. went on logic course and mentioned this about the icos and the trainer advised pouring hot water down flue to clear this .

ant

Thanks for that Ant, I'd like to get my hands on the boiler to investigate but it'll prob never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal Isar noisy in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back