Search the forum,

Discuss I knew I didnt want this job..................... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lame plumber

So I quoted stuoid money to avoid this oil boiler swap and still got it................ Stripped out the boiler on Monday, had to get the new one myself as the merchant screwed up delivery time, I know Ray I should have used you but havent got an account and cant get online with you.

So checked over the areas I worked on, and went to sort a leak in my sons offic before going home. 0030am, ring ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hello Jonathan, water is everywhere, through the ceiling ............ so off I went panicking for the 20 minute drive into the back of beyond.

Suspected f&e valve jammed, no overflow etc etc. Arrived and disappeared into attic, eventually found the source, a hep20 palstic in line tap on the f&e had blown, leaking out of the spindle, and as they weren't in until 7 and only went to bed at 10 water everywhere. But typical didnt know where stopcock was etc etc.

So wacked in a lever valve, and buggered off to bed. Back again today until 7pm, got it piped up, boiler fitted into original flue space (3 big paving slabs, she didn't want the 1 metre plus cob wall reholed, thank god)

Tomorrow, find somewhere for the condensate to go, pipe up oil feed, go and find the oil tank :) set it up and bugger off. Bill them friday and show them how, if does, works. Lady was v grateful I turned out last night, seems they just had their water supply pump replaced on friday last, could have contributed to my problem!!

So how much for 2 hours call out after midnight? not my fault, their horrid plastic tap failed............ I hate this modern plastic crap, seems it went in due to acidic water from private supply, despite a roof full of mice, traps and poison everywhere.

As you have quoted stupid money !!!

I probably wouldn't charge if i earned a lot from the job .

didnt quote to be up at 2 in the morning through a fault due to their system failing.................

Gotta be worth £150.00 then.

I would have just said fill up couple bowls water then turn stopcock off see ya in morning nghty night

Gotta be worth £150.00 then.

I would have just said fill up couple bowls water then turn stopcock off see ya in morning nghty night

If the stopcock worked that would have been my first choice, they only had a flaky gate valve, and the pump hose was in a barn somewhere in the wet n dark :) so I did a cut n join with a new lever valve, after all, the attic was knee deep anyhow :)

if it was me i'd be charging £200 minimum after 12pm plus parts with 40%-50% mark up

As it is the Christmas season and you have a big price in, I think you should do the burst for free! Especially as it's taking you ages to put her new boiler in! :smile:

didnt quote to be up at 2 in the morning through a fault due to their system failing.................

Totally chargeable.
Not your fault - nothing to do with what you were doing.

If it happened a week ago or a fortnight after you completed the job - would you have done it for nothing?

Thought all the Pirates were on the other side of the border (Cornwell) :laugh:

Whoa! We're not all pirates this side of the border although I am apparently still an emit only 80 years left though before I become a local!

Thought all the Pirates were on the other side of the border (Cornwell) :laugh:

I gave them a perfectly written estimate hoping they would look elsewhere, they liked me though............... So finished off today, even managed to get a delta T 0f 15, went to check the 2 ports were working, all 20 on manual setting, not a room stat in sight, originally operated with an on off switch on each stat :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must say the bathroom floor was lovely and warm bordering hot sand :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I knew I didnt want this job..................... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock