Discuss I have central heating but no hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Right, I know this seems to defy logic but here goes.

I’ve just opened a hot tap and wasted all the hot water and kept it running until it ran cold.

I then used the Hive app to boost the hot water for 30 minutes, which correctly caused the hive receiver connected to the boiler to set hot water demand on. As if by magic the boilet responded correctly and fired up, quite normally. Remember, the issue I’ve been having is that the boiler has been ignoring this hot water demand and remaining in standby.

After two minutes, I used the Hive app to cancel the hot water boost, it duly stopped the hot water demand at the hive receiver and the boiler stopped firing and put itself into standby. All good.

I think the best thing to do now is leave the central heating off tonight, set the hot water to heat from 6 am to 6:30 am (which is what it’s usually set for) and I’ll report back tomorrow as to whether or not I get a hot shower in the morning!

Thanks everybody. I will get my man in.

I actually electrocuted myself today changing the Danfoss unit over. I isolated the electrical circuit on the fuse board that is labelled “water heater” but it was still live! An electric shock later, I went back downstairs and isolated the mains completely before going back upstairs to finish the job. Of course, it was all in vain as the issue remains!
I would get myself checked out if it was a big shock. It doesn’t take much to knock the heart out of sync. Better safe than sorry.

Good morning.

Today I had a hot shower. :)

Here is a summary of events:

Before I went to bed I set the CH to be off all night. That is, set not to call for CH at all.

The HW was timed to come on from 06:00 - 06:30. It did. The call for HW was made, the boiler responded correctly and hot water was produced. Perfect.

We consumed all the hot water and made sure it was all used by opening the HW tap and confirmed it as running cold. CH is still off. In the airing cupboard, all the copper pipes in the picture (prev post) are cold. So everything is now cold, as it should be.

Next, I used the hive app to turn on the CH, the call for CH was made, the boiler fired up, CH initiated. In the airing cupboard, the A and the AB pipes are warm, the B pipe is cold. That’s looking good and tells me the newly fitted Danfoss 3 way motorised valve is working correctly, feeding the CH but not the HW, as per current demand.

15 minutes later, I felt all the rads. They’re hot. I opened the HW tap to test and water is cold, as expected. I used hive app to boost HW for 30 minutes. Checked hive received connected to boiler, it’s now calling for HW as well as CH. Looking good. Up in the airing cupboard, All copper pipes now hot. 30 minutes later, HW tap runs hot.

So I’m tempted to now say, issue resolved and everything is now working as expected. Thanks to everyone for all their valuable help. As you can probably tell, I’m no expert in this area - but I want to learn.

Reply to I have central heating but no hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi,

Our heating stopped working today. We've got a Veissmann boiler that's under a year old, and an older Megaflow cylinder, and two diverter...
Replies
Views
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock