Search the forum,

Discuss humidity/water sensor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasser

Gas Engineer
I had to seal around the bathtub after it sprung a leak. I only found out when the ceiling below started showing a damp patch. When I checked behind the bathtub, it was very wet and floorboards rotten, from what I could see faraway. Doubtless this leak had been happening for a while. Aren't the small leaks the most dangerous ones after all?

That made me think - maybe having a humidity sensor behind the bathtub would be useful to detect these small leaks? Sounds high tech and over the top but it doesn't have to be. There are lots of these gels that absorb humidity. Shape one in a long thin strip, embed two bare copper wires inside and stick it to the wall, just under the seal before installing the bathtub. One end of the two wires is left open-ended, the other end connected to a small battery.

When water runs down, the gel absorbs it and its resistance decreases, allowing electricity to flow from one wire to the next, only where water has been absorbed. The flow of current sets off an alarm, whether visual, audio, by sms, wi-fi, email or whatnot.

Pros
- It's even possible to indicate where the leak is occurring if the alert is sophisticated enough. Else when you look behind the bathtub, you would see that the gel has changed colour.
- Because it is a strip, it can detect all along its length continuously. It is also flexible to bend around corners.
- The strip sensor could be sold independently of the battery device, each having different specs.
- Strip could detect things other than water if there is an appropriate gel for that, for instance gas leak detection, though not sure in which application you'd need a linear sensor like this.
- Battery device versions could include solar-rechargeable, connected to house wi-fi, mains-powered, remote controlled, sensitivity adjustment, etc..
- Strip could be cut to any length since one end of the circuit stays open-ended.

Cons
- Could be too sensitive to humidity or condensation, especially in a bathroom environment.
- Glue will have to hold for years if required and not impede absorption of water from the surface it's stuck to.

Applications
- Detection of small leaks in hidden, critical areas: roof voids, basements, cars, warehouses, etc...
- Could be designed to detect other liquids and gases if resistance of the gel could be made to vary with these other fluids.

Price
Basic version should be less than a quid. 1 small battery + resistor + gel + cable + LED. I saw this gel to absorb humidity in the poundshop and it was a big bag. The sensor could come without battery, thus reducing its cost further.

What do you guys think? Realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to humidity/water sensor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock