Search the forum,

Discuss How To remove RSBAS C Tap head? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I was hoping someone might be able to help with this. The tap is a Bristan RS BAS C, the hot tap has been leaking and I've trying to get the tap off to clean the cartridges, but cant get the sphere at the end off there. Looking at the diagram, it seems that you should be able to pop the little circle off to access the screw underneath, but I've tried prying it off and it wont seem to move. Anybody know how I might remove the cap off the end please?
Also it looks like some parts are corroding and falling apart possibly, so I'm not sure if cleaning it will make any difference. Appreicate any help !
IMG_0640.JPG

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240105-175500.png
    Screenshot_20240105-175500.png
    346 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0643.JPG
    IMG_0643.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 1704477899032.png
    1704477899032.png
    157.6 KB · Views: 11
To do what you said you are wanting to do, clean the cartridge - there is no need to take the sphere off. Just undo the cartridge from the tap body by turning the brass coloured hexagon anti-clockwise.

To do what you said you are wanting to do, clean the cartridge - there is no need to take the sphere off. Just undo the cartridge from the tap body by turning the brass coloured hexagon anti-clockwise.
Thanks for the help and quick reply! I did try removing it using a spanner and because of the angle of the tap I couldn't really turn it as the spanner hits the tap or the wall from whatever angle I try . Tried some other tools also but they couldn't get a good grip and ran into the same problem with turning. I have one of those tools that you place over the cartridge to remove the hexagon, but I can't use it because I can't remove the tap sphere.

The caps are usually screwed in, if so use a rubber glove to get better grip to twist the cap out, but yours looks like it's a push fit.

Possibly with the side handle unscrewed you may be able to get an allen key or something else with a 90° bend through the side hole and push up under the cap.

There tight normally you have to get a knife blade In between the cap and the chrome outer edge and pry but It’s been damaged so just put a screw in the centre of the white cap and screw it in then pull should bring the cap off with it

I’m sure you will be able to pick something similar up if you want to

The caps are usually screwed in, if so use a rubber glove to get better grip to twist the cap out, but yours looks like it's a push fit.

Possibly with the side handle unscrewed you may be able to get an allen key or something else with a 90° bend through the side hole and push up under the cap.
I think that might be the case, there's no where to grip the cap and twist it. I tried prying it out but wont budge. The shpere is solid , so wouldn't be able to bend an allen key through to the cap unfortunately.

There tight normally you have to get a knife blade In between the cap and the chrome outer edge and pry but It’s been damaged so just put a screw in the centre of the white cap and screw it in then pull should bring the cap off with it

I’m sure you will be able to pick something similar up if you want to
I did try with a blade and wouldn't seem to move, maybe its just really stuck in there with years of limescale I'm not sure. I'm not quite sure I understand the screw idea sorry, are you saying to place a screw on the white cap with "hot" written on it? Wouldn't it just slide off? Sorry if I'm not understanding what you meant there. Appreciate all the replys!

I think that might be the case, there's no where to grip the cap and twist it. I tried prying it out but wont budge. The shpere is solid , so wouldn't be able to bend an allen key through to the cap unfortunately.

I did try with a blade and wouldn't seem to move, maybe its just really stuck in there with years of limescale I'm not sure. I'm not quite sure I understand the screw idea sorry, are you saying to place a screw on the white cap with "hot" written on it? Wouldn't it just slide off? Sorry if I'm not understanding what you meant there. Appreciate all the replys!

Yes screw it in so it grips will ruin the cap but I’m sure you could find something similar etc and then you should be able to pull the cap off using the screw etc

Or keep winding the screw in to it bottoms out and it might pull the cap off with you screwing the screw in etc

Yes the hot/cold indices are just push fit on these. If you get a brand new Stanley blade you should be able to pry it off- try using two at the same time on opposite sides to stop it tipping back in.
Although, if you have a regular ring/open spanner you really should be able to undo the cartridge as is - a standard spanner has a slight crank to offset the handle from the working end specifically to deal with this situation…

Thanks for everyones help with this. I did manage to get the indice off in the end. I was going to try the screw advice, but thought I'd give it one last try first. Soaked it in vinegar for a few hours and seemed to corrode/loosen it enough that I could pry it off this time. Towel advice was helpful too, I'll that in mind for the future, cheers!

Reply to How To remove RSBAS C Tap head? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock