Discuss How to join egr pipe that has been cut? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vancouverbc

it is brass pipe with outside diameter of 2/3 inch made of brass material. i cut with hack saw. it is part of muffler system close to engine so very hot. are there any compression fittings that could withstand this level of heat? i dont really want to try to flare the ends as the material is hard and area inaccessible.

can you not join it using radiator hose and hose clips, its good on heat and is used on boat pipework and exhausts.

the egr is really hot and burns the rubber into charcoil.

What material are you trying to connect to it?

its a brass pipe that i cut and want to reconnect . both sides are the same brass pipe. solder obviously doesnt work on brass .i cant even find a pipe with inside diameter of approx. .667 inches. i had a rubber hose that worked for about 6 months. i guess it burned and turned to charcoil and worked until it cracked apart into dust.

silver solder mate, prob be better using oxy acetylene. this will give a very long lasting joint. best to take pipe off eng, make jig if you need to make it fit perfect. engine manufacturers have a high temp hose that wont burn, what is the engine in or on?

failing that could you not start again but replacing pipe with metric new.
if the pipe is what i think it is, its possibly a brass alloy called yorcalbro.
other than if the pipe was metric then these are probably your only options. not trying too look too thick now, but i measure imperial in eigths, sixteenths, quarters etc, so size not really computing

Last edited:
silver solder mate, prob be better using oxy acetylene. this will give a very long lasting joint. best to take pipe off eng, make jig if you need to make it fit perfect. engine manufacturers have a high temp hose that wont burn, what is the engine in or on?

failing that could you not start again but replacing pipe with metric new.
if the pipe is what i think it is, its possibly a brass alloy called yorcalbro.
other than if the pipe was metric then these are probably your only options. not trying too look too thick now, but i measure imperial in eigths, sixteenths, quarters etc, so size not really computing

ok. i guess i will buy one of those welders at the hardware store that have a small oxy and propane . i can heat the top and sides but not bottom. cant get it out of car. not sure if i can find the right sized pipe though. thanks for your help.

A possible bodge that I have used before to get me out of trouble is to split a small length of copper tube lengthwise, paste the inside with exhaust putty, wrap it round the joint and secure with a couple of jubilee clips.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to join egr pipe that has been cut? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock