Discuss How do I get bad joints on copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scon1

I have been using the presoldered joints for a while, usually with no issues. Recently I have had a series of bad joints on a hot water pipe. Am I missing something?
Turn off water, open tap for vent.
I clean the outside of both pipes with wire wool.
Thinly smear flux over the outside of all pipes.
Slide on T joint, to the 3 pipes.
Light Butane / Propane mix torch, get blue flame.
Wave inner blue flame over the T piece, bottom, middle then top.
The bottom and middle joints have the solder bubble out from end.
The top joint remains dry.
The joint is fairly tight against a wall, but I have tried to heat the back first.
After testing, top joint has slight leak. Reheat joint, adding more solder but solder just falls off.
Any ideas?
I have never had a joint so difficult to seal!

As jtsplumbing says, steel wire left in the joint will cause small leaks. I have also experienced this problem and now I always wipe the pipe and the inside of the fitting with a cotton cloth before making the joint to ensure that all bits of wire are removed. Since doing this I have not had a joint that leaked!

As jtsplumbing says, steel wire left in the joint will cause small leaks. I have also experienced this problem and now I always wipe the pipe and the inside of the fitting with a cotton cloth before making the joint to ensure that all bits of wire are removed. Since doing this I have not had a joint that leaked!

But the amount of time it takes means I only do two joints a week. Some mug said he didn't use a flux brush cos it left hair in joint? Good luck soldering 28mm and an over

Wow a thread on soldering ...I hate laco ...love everflux...just make sure you clean it off while hot ..lovely joints everytime..but then again I'm fully trained in the dark arts

Wow a thread on soldering ...I hate laco ...love everflux...just make sure you clean it off while hot ..lovely joints everytime..but then again I'm fully trained in the dark arts

I know a lot of guys prefer the Everflux, but there is no getting past the fact that it is highly corrosive stuff! I won't ever use it tbh & it will obviously run inside the pipes & surely not good for a dry pipe such as a gas pipe.
I have came across a lot of soldered joints where the solder itself is noticeably dry & I have seen these leaking. I have been able to simply rub the cold solder off the pipe using a bit of well worn emery cloth after I heated & removed the old fitting. I am not sure what flux was used with the plumber, but sure it was an acid based one & likely Everflux.

When cleaning the pipe / joint any reason not to use S/S pan scrubbers?
For: No bits, seems to get them just as clean, doesn't go rusty, last ages, less scratches, doesn't wreck your hand if not wearing gloves
Against: ?

We use 3m fine finishing pads , look like the green things u clean pans with but last longer. Bought a box of them from buck n hickman over a year ago..... Box did cost ££££££ tho

Miles better than rollies or the pads u but in packet. U do however need to cut them in to strips - massive task

Last edited by a moderator:
Some fitter known to you all also did not clean his hands and
fingers and under his nails one evening properly and
'mucking about with his bride' to be
caused a lot of trouble - downstairs

beware centralheatking

There was some flux years ago called 'Bakers Blue' I put into
my eye by accidend on M4 cause i had not washed my hands

- in the end I ripped out the washer bottle of my transit on the hard shoulder
to get an eye wash it was agony Centralheatking

Pictures?

Some fitter known to you all also did not clean his hands and
fingers and under his nails one evening properly and
'mucking about with his bride' to be
caused a lot of trouble - downstairs

beware centralheatking

Think you should refer to croppie as croppie no wife to be, not common knowledge you to were once married

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I get bad joints on copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock