Discuss Hot water cylinder in loft making constant humming noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vbakhshi

Hello

I have a hot water cylinder in the loft of my house, and a boiler in the kitchen. The cylinder makes a constant low humming noise, 24 hours day and night. (The central heating is currently off for the summer so it is only used for hot water). It is slightly annoying as it can be heard in the bedroom underneath, and I'm worried it is wasting electricity. I'm a bit reluctant to pay a call out charge for a plumber to come though as I don't know if this is just normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Vicki

If your unsure, then call a plumber or get someone else to take a look. It is not normal for hot water cyliders to hum. Anything you get from here is going to be pure speculation of what may or not be wrong. You might have nothing more than a huge wasp nest being constructed up in the loft, youll never know unless someone gets up there to check..

It could be the immersion heater element thats making the noise, or noise being transmitted through the pipework from elsewhere and the cylinder acting as a soundbox

Wasps nest! Last moth I opened a loft hatch and there must have been thousands of wasps buzzing about. Nearly cacked myself and the loft hatch came down with a bang!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water cylinder in loft making constant humming noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock